38

"From everything I've heard, my mother suffered in silence alone for years." Jace says when he and I walked into the courtyard, "She never got the help she needed-"

"Listen- you're gonna be okay." I had my arms crossed, "Whatever's happening to you, we're gonna figure it out-"

Jace stops, "I'm thinking of going to the City of Bones for treatment."

"With the Silent Brothers?" I gape at him.

Jace slowly nods, "They have a history of helping Shadowhunters with mental health issues."

"Jace, we don't know that's what you're going through." I put my hand on his arm, "You didn't start this way until after you were brought back- do you really think that's a coincidence?"

Jace inhales, "I think it was a trigger- for something that's always been there."

"Jace-" I sigh.

"Look, I can't sit- benched and do nothing." Jace said to me, "If there is even a chance that the Silent Brothers can help, then that's-"

"But, what if they can't?" I asked, "Jace, you would be deemed unfit for duty and deruned-"

"And what choice do I have?" He looked at me, his tone vulnerable, "I can't live like this."

I swallowed hard, "I could try to talk to the Angel?-"

"No- no, it's too dangerous." Jace shook his head, "Look- if we summon Raziel, he could destroy us just for bothering him."

"Well, what about Ithuriel?" I looked up at him, "He's helped us before- and his blood runs in our veins- I mean, good enough reason to assume he'd help."

Jace sighs, "Zee-"

"Jace, if you are suffering the consequences of being brought back from the dead, then I'm going to do everything I can to fix it." I took a step towards him, "I brought this on you- let me fix it."

"Well, what are you gonna do?" Jace huffed at my words, "Are you gonna text him?"

"I'll figure it out." I shrug, "Just- trust me, okay?"

Jace softly nods, before grabbing my face and pressing his lips into mine gently.

-

"Can I borrow a dress?" Isabelle's voice filled the line when I was out, heading to the precinct to see Luke, "I need something mundane to wear."

I pause, "Are you calling my wardrobe boring?"

"No-" Isabelle trails off, "I like your clothes-"

I roll my eyes, "Going undercover?"

"Something like that-" Isabelle mumbles.

I question immediately, "What's going on?"

"I'm going out tonight with the doctor." Isabelle replies, "Before you say anything- it's just dinner- and I'm only doing it so he can leave me alone."

"Well, then- why go out with him at all?" I asked, "You know- since you're only doing it for him to leave you alone-"

"You're right- I should cancel." Isabelle said after a few seconds, "Help with The Owl search."

"Oh, shut up-" I say, "Go to the dinner-"

Isabelle began, "But-"

"You've been working non-stop." I shot back her, "You need a few hours to enjoy yourself."

Isabelle sighs and from that, I knew I won her over.

-

"Are these the victims of the Owl?" I asked Luke, looking at the board of profiles he had by his desk.