25

"Azazel's attacks go as far south as the meat-packing district- and then the trail goes cold." said Alec when we all stood around the table in the Ops Center.

Jace huffs, "It's no use just tracking the dead bodies- with his ability to dematerialize, he could be anywhere."

"Maybe we can help-" Isabelle's voice filled our ears: as she joined us at the table with another man.

"Izzy!" I threw my arms around her, hugging her tight, "Where have you been?"

Clary nods, "We've been so worried about you."

"Looking for Azazel." Isabelle exhales when we pulled away, then gestures to the man, "This is Sebastian Verlac, from the London Institute- when the demon came after me, Sebastian saved my life."

Sebastian chuckles, "Oh, I simply lent a hand."

Isabelle spoke, "Sebastian's an expert on all things Azazel."

Sebastian nods, "When I studied abroad at the Paris Institute, I specialized in greater demons."

"Thanks for saving my sister." Alec held his hand out, "I'm Alec-"

"Yeah, thank you-" Jace shook his hand after Alec, "I'm Jace-"

"The great warrior in the flesh." Sebastian shook his hand, "Your reputation precedes you-"

"As does yours." Sebastian looked at me, "You must be Zee- Valentine's eldest daughter?"

"Yeah, that's me." I lightly shook his hand, exhaling slow, "Not the best title to go by-"

"Well, we don't choose our parents." Sebastian said, before shaking Clary's hand in greeting.

"So- tell us about Azazel." Jace clears his throat, "How do we take him down?"

"The only way to banish him is to puncture his demonic core." Sebastian explained, "In corporeal form, it's between the T and T vertebrae, but- it's not that simple- the core is about the size of a pea."

"Oh, so the entry point's right below his sternum?" Jace said, "If I can get close enough, I can kill him."

"You wouldn't have enough velocity, and even if you did, the defeat's only temporary." Sebastian replied, "The nasty buggers always find a way to break out of their realm and come back."

"Thank you for the intel." Alec cut him off, "We'll take it from here."

Sebastian began, "If I can, I'd like to help."

"We appreciate that, but- you don't have clearance to go on mission." Alec denied, "Not this Institute."

Isabelle sighs, "Alec, you can't be serious-"

"Alec- maybe we could use the help?" I tried, looking at him, "I mean- he clearly knows more than us about Azazel."

"Zee's right-" Jace sides with me, "We could use all the help we could get-"

Sebastian took this as a cue, "Now, as far as tracking is concerned, we should really think about-"

"We have a very capable warlock for that." Alec cut him off again, then looked between us all before walking away, "You do what you want- I'm gonna work with Magnus."

-

"You wanted to see us?" Jace questions when he and I were called to Inquisitor Herondale's office.

"Yes." She looked up, "I told you I would decide what was next for you once Azazel was vanquished, so-
here we are."

Jace was protective, "You can do whatever you want with me, but leave Zee out of this."