Chapter 1 - The Escape.

Peter knew that this was his chance. The opening he had been waiting for had finally arrived. As he eyed the floor he easily kept any emotion from his face with practiced ease. By now his blank expression was a work of art, he had after all had many years of practice.

As his 'Master' droned on about the details of his first solo mission he began to consider what he would do when he got out, he wasn't a fool, he knew he had nowhere to go, but he would not stay here to be turned into a mindless soldier. A killing machine. He hates the very thought of working for them. Truly working for them that is. He has of course had to pretend for years to be under their control. He barely suppresses a shudder at the thought of the things he has had to do for them, but it still left him with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

Peter knew that he could not last forever under their torture, and so had instead chosen to play along until he could get away. But that doesn't lessen the burden of the things he has had to do.

He has been on missions, he has killed people, innocent people. He hates himself for that. The lives he has taken, the lives he has ruined. Sometimes he thinks it would have been better if he was a mindless soldier in those moments, so that he wouldn't have to live with the guilt. But he knows that isn't possible. His biology has been altered. And their attempts at brainwashing are lost on him.

He knows that he has to het away before they find something that will work on him though. He is dangerous. He can't let them truly turn him into a weapon. So he pretends. And now he will escape. Or at least when his 'Master' shuts up he will. He can't help the internal eye roll that always accompanies that word. He can't help but find it slightly amusing, they clearly get off on exerting power over people.

He zones back in on the end of his mission briefing. Of course he was paying attention the whole time, his targets are a woman in her late twenties and her two infant children. Apparently her husband has been causing problems for the 'higher ups' and I am to execute his family to send a message. I mentally scoff. Thats not going to happen. Though I can't help but feel like i need to help this woman, even if I fail, they will send someone else. I will figure it out.

I hear 'Master' finish what he is saying. "Is that clear Winter Spider?" He asks.

"Yes Master." I respond, my voice hoarse from disuse.

He nods approvingly. "Hail Hydra." He says as a dismissal.

"Hail Hydra" I respond with no emotion before i turn out of the door and towards the hangar.

Finally, time to get out of this hell hole.

~Time Skip~

As i sit in the back of the jet that will take me to the drop off point, i check over my weapons while thinking about how i am going to do this. I know that even though this is a solo mission, there will be a back up team less than 20 minutes out. Even if i flee the woman and her children will die and despite the things i have done in the past, that was a means to an end. I can't just let this woman and her children die.

I have enough blood on my hands, even if helping them won't change that I cant just sit by and do nothing. If you can do the thing that i can do, and you don't, then the bad things happen, they happen because of you. I have the power to help save their lives, that makes it my responsibility.

As i load up my guns I decide on how i will tackle this. In order to keep them safe i will have to fake their deaths then get them to safety. But to do that i am going to have to get the woman to trust me. That might not be so easy but i will have to try.

Okay so not the most thought out plan but hey, he is working on it. He grabs some C4 and blasting caps and places them in a backpack. Hydra said they wanted to send a message so the soldiers escorting him to the drop point just smirk at him. It makes him sick but he keeps up his blank face and focuses on how he will get this woman to trust him.