Chapter 19 - So...That Went Well

"15 minutes to drop off" KAREN's voice calls through our comms.

This is it. Twelve and a half months of taking down Red Room facilities and we are finally about to take out their last base.

"You ready for this?" I turn and ask Nat, who is still sitting to my right, checking her pistol, knowing she must be feeling mixed emotions right now. Not that i think she is having second thoughts, but i know she must be relieved that it is nearly over and wired as she knows to expect a fight, but I'm more concerned that this is the facility that she was raised in and that it must be bringing back bad memories.

She takes a slightly shaky breath but then nods "I have to be. I have to do this." She says, and i can see the resolve on her face.

I gently place my hand on her shoulder, and she rests her cheek on it and closes her eyes for a moment and i know she is collecting herself.

When she opens her eyes again, i look directly into them, hoping to convey the sincerity of my next words. "Whatever happens, i have your back. No matter what, I will have your back. Okay? Whatever is waiting for us down there, I will fight by your side and I'll die if i have to, but you will not have to face this shit alone."

She just looks at me with a scowl and says "don't you dare die on me, i swear to god if you do, i will bring you back to life and kill you again myself. Don't test me." She says dead serious, but then we both chuckle, it is slightly strained given the subject of conversation and the fact that we are about to go into another fight.

"But I have your back too." She says with a slightly more serious tone but I can hear the words left unsaid. 'And I will die if I have to to keep you safe.'

"I know" i say with a small strained smile. 'I know you would, but I won't be letting that happen.'

She just looks right into my eyes and deadpans "you have broccoli in your teeth". Then smirks a little as I snort. 'I wont be letting you die either.'

I just shake my head at the joke but then nod a little to acknowledge the silent vow.

"K, when we go in keep the Jet in cloak mode and keep watch of the perimeter. They will know they are the last base on our shit-list so probably have upped security, which is why we will be going in silently. And when that plan inevitably fails, we will improvise. Or at least improvising is the back up plan. If all else fails we will just blow the place sky high and get the hell outta dodge. So be ready for pickup."

"That doesn't sound like a very developed plan boss. 'Proper planning prevents piss poor performance'." KAREN says sounding slightly snarky, but with an audible trace of worry in her tone.

"In preparing for battle, i have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable - Dwight D. Eisenhower." Nat says back with a smirk and i cant help but chuckle at that.

"Plan your work and work your plan. - Napoleon Hill." KAREN continues but with more of a joking tone and less worry.

I take a moment to appreciate that my AI can banter with the best of them before i chime in "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination - Mia Hamm."

"Ooh careful K," Nat begins, "we might show you up."

"Bitch please I am literally a computer, I'm pretty sure i can out quote you both." K snaps back sassily and I can't help it. I burst out laughing.

"Did...did she just call me a
'Bitch'?" Nat asks with faux indignation, but can't keep it up and bursts out laughing too.

With a smile on my face, I take a minute to appreciate my crazy, weird, fucked up, mismatched little family. Until K interrupts with a dead serious tone. "2 minutes to drop off".