Chapter 13 - It's Good To See You Nat.

It was almost 6 months until she called. Honestly, i was just happy to hear from her. Part of me expected it to be longer but i am certainly not complaining.

I was in a board meeting for the company, things had been getting pretty hectic lately with how fast the company was expanding (we had even opened facilities in Europe not long after my 18th birthday, around 4 months ago). One of the board members was droning on about financials and blah blah blah...i was only half listening. I already knew all of this. I run the damn company after all but i kept up a facade of attentiveness, even if i was barely listening to a word he said.

Suddenly my phone rings and i have to restrain myself from cheering. Any excuse to leave this meeting. I look down fully prepared to make up some bullshit and get myself out of here but when i see there is no caller ID, just a number i know exactly who it is. Phil knows never to call me without caller ID. That leaves only one other person with my number who isn't in this room.

I quickly stand up. "Sorry this is important I have to take this, please continue Ned and Michelle will fill me in later." With that i walk out and quickly bring my phone to my ear.

"Natalia?" I ask hesitantly.

"Peter? Oh thank god, you actually answered." She says sounding relieved and...out of breath?

"Of course I did. Whats up? Is everything okay?" I ask with concern evident in my voice. I get into the elevator and head down to the parking garage.

"They found me and sent a team after me. Assholes got the drop on me and I'm surrounded." My heart drops at that.

"What do you need? Where are you?" I ask as I begin running to my car.

"I'm in Colorado." Okay thats pretty close i can get there in like 20 minutes if i step on it. "I could use some back up if you don't mind". She says hopefully and it hurts my heart that she honestly thinks she even needs to ask, let alone that she thinks I would ever leave her on her own if she needs me.

"Of course I'm on my way now, you have a specific location for me?"

"I'm not exactly sure. Im pinned down in some old cabin right now."

"Do i have your permission to track your phone?" I ask as i drive full speed towards my jet.

"Yeah, your actually asking permission?" She asks disbelievingly.

"Of course I'm asking i promised you I wouldn't invade your privacy and i meant it." I say honestly. I knew she wouldn't mind in this situation but i just wanted to make sure.

"Shit..." i hear her say followed by several gun shots. The fear i am feeling right now is almost insane. I don't even care about myself this much.

"Natalia?!? Nat?!?" I ask almost frantically once the gunshots stop.

"It's okay I'm fine." She says and I actually sigh in relief.

By now i have made it to the jet and am almost halfway to Colorado.

"What happened ?" I ask.

"Some of them came in through a window at the back of the cabin, almost got the drop on me. I managed to hold them off but it was close. Im still surrounded but hey at least i have more ammo now." She says drily. I cant help but snort at that. God i love her sense of humour. Wait...what? Fuck it, i'll think about it later.

"Shit. They're moving in."

"Fuck. Okay, I'm about five minutes out Nat. Just hold out til then." I say calmly. Even though I'm freaking out internally.

"Sounds like a plan." She says. "Also, 'Nat'?" She asks sounding amused.

I chuckle "what you don't like it? I can just call you Natalia if you prefer?" I say.

"No, no, its fine, I've just never had a nickname before...Its nice." She admits almost shyly. I can't help but smile.

Before i can respond though gunfire rings out through the phone and i hear it tumble to the floor before the line goes dead. Fuck. Okay, stay calm.

"KAREN, engage autopilot and land me as close to Nat's coordinates as possible, also engage 'sentry mode', weapons active."

"Yes boss. ETA 30 seconds."

"Don't bother landing K just get me close enough to jump."

"Yes boss." She says as she opens the door, prepare to jump in 5,4,3,2..." as she says one i launch myself out of the jet, landing in a combat roll on the grass, i stand up and instantly start taking out HYDRA Agents with my rifle. KAREN has the jet hovering overhead, taking out even more of them.

I quickly run towards the cabin. I still hear gunfire inside so i know i am not too late, I can't help but release a breath I didn't know i was holding. I'm not really surprised, i know that Natalia is incredibly capable, I'm just...i don't even know.

I kick open the door and instantly shoot down 5 HYDRA Agents before they all turn their attention towards me and stop firing at Natalia.

I quickly dive for cover. I can hear the gunfire outside as bullets whizz over my head.

Suddenly I hear the last of the agents inside go down as the gunshots stop. Well inside at least.

I slowly stand up, prepared in case there is still any shooters, only to come face to face with Natalia. She looks good. I can't help but scan her over to check for injuries. I don't see any. I look into her eyes and see the relief there. I also notice her checking me over for injuries and can't help but smile a little. She smiles back at be and I quickly walk over to her and grab her into a hug, which she quickly accepts and returns.

"You okay?" I ask her as we finally part almost 30 seconds later.

"I am now. Are you?" She replies.

I smirk at her and say "peachy". She just snorts.

"Wanna get out of here?" I ask and she just nods. I speak into my watch. "K, bring the jet down we are coming out." I say.

"Yes boss".

"Who is 'K'?" She asks curious but also slightly concerned.

"My AI KAREN. She is piloting the jet." I say simply.

She relaxes at that and nods again as we head out. We run for the jet taking out the last of the HYDRA agents as we go.

Once we are onboard we both take a seat in the cockpit even though KAREN is still flying. "So how you been?" I ask.

"Meh same old same old. Its good to see you." She says with a smile.

"You too." I say with a smile of my own.

"How've you been?" She asks.

"Meh same old same old" i reply with a smirk. She just huffs out a laugh and rolls her eyes. I just smirk bigger at that.

"We are really gonna have to do something about those Red Room bastards." She says.

"We?" I ask looking at her.

"Yeah...i was hoping...nevermind." She backtracks. I'm not having that.

"You wanna work together to take down the Red Room?" I ask. She looks at me calculatingly. I can tell that she wants to say yes but isn't sure if its the right move. "I'd like that" I add.

I can see her physically relax at that. She just nods. "Thank you...I wasn't sure if you'd want to work with me but I really want to burn the Red Room to the ground...i just don't think i can do it alone." She says.

"Of course i'd want to." I say with a smile. One which she returns.

"So you wanna come live with me to New York for a while?" I ask her.

She just smirks. "Sure. If you'll have me." I can see through the smirk and she knows it but i act like I don't.

"Sure, you can't be that bad" i joke.

She just smirks wider but this time it's genuine. it makes me smile.

It will be nice having her around.