Key Terms

Here are some terms that I will be saying that are usually used in housekeeping.

Check-in - the guest checking into a room

Check Out - the guests packed up and left

Diversey - stronger than the disinfectant, but not as strong as bleach

DND - "Do Not Disturb." A sign hanging on the door handle signalling that the guest does not want their room cleaned.

15 / 30 - other words my 15 minute or 30-minute break. We choose whether or not we want to take them. I often skip both and continue working straight through.

Lead Hand - The person that is making room lists and checking rooms to see if they are cleaned properly and punching the room to let front desk know the same.

One bedder / double bedder - A queen room has two beds. A one bedder is a room where only one queen bed that was used, a double bedder is where both beds were used. 

Priority - a room that has already been rented to someone and needs to be done ASAP. Priorities can also have specific times attached to them or specific things that need to be done, such as all foam pillows or extra towels or whatnot. 

PTAC - it's the name the hotel uses for in-room air conditioners.

Punch/punching - to put a code into the landline sending a message to the computers saying the room is done. You don't need your rooms double-checked

RFS / refusal - Refused Service. The guest doesn't need nor wants their room cleaned.

Rounds - whenever I go around and knock on multiple doors looking for rooms that are empty.

Stayover/stays - rooms that are currently being rented by guests

The Pink - the disinfectant we use that is the colour pink

Vacancy - the room is empty