Behind the window

When he opened his eyes, he recognized Matilda's room, the posters with football players on the walls and the bed with white sheets. The room had little furniture: a bed, a wardrobe, a wooden table with a chair. After his eyes were accustomed to the bright light invading the room through the window, he discovered a thin creature crouched on the wardrobe, watching him with small, beady eyes.

Before he knew whether it was a dream or not, the creature jumped from the wardrobe, then dashed out the door. Ferry had gotten used to this every time he visited Matilda. That's how Finn was like, always a dash.

After Finn was gone, the door opened and Matilda entered, accompanied by Sage, the wolf-man.

"You're awake," she smiled, stepping closer to the bed, but keeping the distance. "And I who thought fairies didn't sleep much."

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"You've been sleeping for two days," Sage said in his husky voice.

Ferry tried to get up, but he felt the room spinning with him. He collapsed again on the pillows that smelled of soap and cakes.

Matilda came to him and helped him wrap in a light but warm blanket.

"My mother, she must be worried," whispered Ferry.

"Don't worry," the girl said, "my mother told her you were staying at Ben's for the weekend to work on a school assignment. I brought you clean clothes if you want to change," she added, showing him the chair next to the bed on which he could see, perfectly folded, some clothes of Matilda's father. "You can stay here for a couple of days if you like. You need to rest," she said and wanted to leave. But Ferry took her by the hand, and the girl turned, looking at him with wonder. She seemed sad and upset, for some reason.

"What happened in Mrs. Jones's house?" he asked her.

Matilda sat on the side of the bed and bit her lip, before saying, "What exactly do you remember?"

"I remember everything until you left for the attic. Then, Mrs. Jones started singing. And then, I don't remember anything."

Sage stepped closer, "What did she sing?" he asked.

Ferry frowned, trying to remember, "A weird song, like a lullaby... peaceful, but haunting at the same time. I know I've heard it before..."

"What about the tea she gave you? What was the taste?" Sage asked.

"Sweet and sour... Like caramel sugar."

Sage gave it a thought.

"She said she put rum in his tea," Matilda said. "Maybe that's why he was acting so weird when I came," she added, and Ferry had the impression her cheeks turned red.

Sage shook his head, "Hard liquor has power over fairies, it's true. It weakens their bodies and darkens their minds. But it doesn't make them forget. What you're saying looks like a charm."