In the shadows

The work on the invisibility shields began immediately. Ben drew the sketches, and Ferry's father traveled to the Big City for the materials. Plastic was hard to find in Goodharts.

Ferry, Matilda, and Ben were now in the kitchen, around the round table. They had to work out a plan to save the Tenalach fairies. Ferry asked Ben to make the plan since he had come up with the brilliant idea of ​​invisibility, anyway.

"I think we should release the fairies before the Quest begins. It's easier that way, "Ben said.

"How are we going to do that? There are guards brought from the Big City. They have already started to arrive at the mansion. I saw them," Ferry said.

"That's why we have the shields of invisibility. You can become invisible at will. Matt and I will use them. There is no need for more."

"Ben's right, Ferry," Matilda said. "I think... I think we'll make it," she added, forcing a smile.

Ferry frowned. He got up from the table and stood in front of the window. He looked at the backyard where the last sheets his mother had washed were still swaying in the wind. Neither he nor his father had dared to take them off the clotheslines.

"I don't want you to come, Matt," he said in a soft voice.

Matilda got up from the table and stepped closer to him. "What? Why?" she asked.

"I can ask my father to help us. He agreed with that. You don't have to come," Ferry added.

Ferry felt her snort behind him. "Is it because I'm a girl? I can take care of myself much better than you, Ferry, " she said, hands on hips.

"It's not that, Matt. You know that's not it. You do things better than all the boys in this town, me included. It's just that-- I don't want anything bad happen to you..." he said and gathered courage to look into her eyes.

The girl looked at him that way only she knew to look at him. Ferry felt his guard drop slowly."Nothing bad is going to happen to me, Ferry," she said.

Ferry walked past her. "How do you know?" he flared up. "How do you know nothing is going to happen to you? How do we know nothing will happen to any of us? " he asked, looking at Ben, this time. "It would be best not to get you involved in this. There are things that don't concern you. Fairy things. Which shouldn't matter to you," he said, clenching his fists.

Ben came to him and put his hand on his shoulder. "But they matter to us, Ferr. YOU matter to us. So we're coming."

Ferry sat down at the table. Matilda took a seat beside him. "If anything happens to you... To any of you... I will never forgive myself," Ferry sighed.

Matilda wanted to reach his hand, but something stopped her. "We're not just coming for you, Ferry ..."

Ferry looked into her eyes. "What do you mean?" he asked.