Signs of spring, signs of storm (part two)

Ferry flew to Lavender's house as he'd never flown before. He didn't care the dawn was near and that the branches of the trees hit and scratched him. He had to get there faster and tell Thyme what he had seen—Mrs. Jones was a fairy in the flesh and bone. A powerful one, too.

When he reached Lavender's garden, he was surprised to see that Thyme was already waiting for him. Together with all the other fairy-keepers. Ferry descended in the middle of them.

"Thyme, Thyme," he yelled, trying to catch his breath. "I need to talk to you. All of you. Mrs. Jones is a—she's a fairy!"

Thyme came to him and picked up the leaves in his hair.

"Did you hear me?!" shouted Ferry. "She's a fairy! A fairy living among humans. And she's looking for a ... thing, I don't know what thing ... I don't know what for..."

"I heard you," Thyme said coldly. "It's none of your business. Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong!"

"Where it doesn't belong? Do you hear yourself?" shouted Ferry. "There are fairies living in Goodharts: Mrs. Jones, and I'm pretty sure that Andrew--"

"Of course," Thyme interrupted him, "Andrew. What's your obsession with this boy? I know that because of him, your life has changed completely, but don't you think it's time to stop?"

"Something else should concern you."

"But Thyme--"

"Enough!" Thyme's voice thundered. "I need to tell you something," he added, taking a long breath. "I'm going to Akna. Lord Stephan needs me. Akna needs me. There is no time."

The news fell upon Ferry like a thunder. "What do you mean, you're leaving? What-- What about me?"

"You'll stay here for a while," Thyme said coldly. "You'll be in Parsley's care. He will teach you. Not with weapons, this time. He will try to bring out your fairy powers. Maybe he has more luck than I, "he added, and Ferry felt disappointed in his voice.

His other fairy friends gathered around Thyme and laid their hands on his arm.

"May the Moon watch over your path," Sage said.

Thyme thanked them with a nod, then turned to leave.

"Thyme, wait!" shouted Ferry.

Thyme stoped. Ferry came closer. He could see his red eyes sparkling.

"Take care of yourself," he said, putting his hand on his shoulder.

Thyme put his hand on Ferry's shoulder and squeezed it gently, "I trust you, Garrett," he said, forcing a smile.

Then he started for the wooden door of the garden.

Rosemary ran after him, "Shouldn't we tell him about her? she asked before he came out the gate.

Thyme did not turn when he answered. "No," he said, then left.

*

Thyme's departure had shaken him up. The last events had brought uneasiness into his heart. Now, every time he went out, he was expecting to see her. Mrs. Jones or Andrew behind him. But that didn't happen. The town and its people looked the same as before. How many other fairies were living among people without them having no idea?

On that sunny Sunday, he accepted Matilda's invitation to go biking. They also called Ben to join them, but he said he had to study.

In the fresh, warm air, in the smell of blossomed flowers and fresh soil, the worries began to dissipate. Ferry pedaled hard, trying to catch up with Matilda. This proved to be difficult because Matilda was the fastest to ride a bike. Even now, the girl rode with her hands outstretched, without touching the handlebar, with the wind playing in her hair. From time to time, she turned to the Ferry and smiled.