The Handmaid's Tale

“A ball?” Dan asks walking into the main room of the loft sitting down next to Lee.

“Haven't you heard? Jenny's cinderella.” Rufus said placing a plate of waffles in front of Lee and Dan.

“And let me guess. Your wicked stepsister is Blair Waldorf?” Lee asked grabbing an apple from the bowl on the counter.

“Blair may have asked me to do a few things, but I'm happy to help.” She says putting boxes into bags for Blair.

Lee wraps her arm around her. “And if she happens to help you out with getting an invite and an outfit?”

“It'll all be worth it.” Jenny picks up one of the masks and puts it over her face before putting it back in the box. “Everyone in disguise in this old ballroom so it's gonna be amazing. You know, I'm actually surprised Serena didn't mention it.”

“Why? We've only been out… like twice so it's not like all of a sudden we have to do everything together.”

“Dan you're doing that thing you always do when you try to hide your yearning passion to seem like you fit in her hugely messy world.”

“All right, well I gotta go deliver this stuff. Let me know if you need me to pick you up a tux and a dress for you two.” She said before she left with all the bags and boxes.

“Don't eat any poison apples while you’re there!” Lee yelled right before she heard the door shut.

Rufus looked at Lee and asked, "Isn't that Snow White?"

Lee looked over at him. “Don't give me that look."

"What look could you ever be talking about?" She asked acting like she had no idea what he was talking about.

"Well for your information it's a masked ball. I'm sure she thinks I'd never go to something that pretentious, which shows she knows me well.” He tried defending himself. “I'm not saying I wouldn't go. If Serena asked me, I wouldn't deprive her of my company.”

Lee went behind the counter to get another cup of coffee. “No, that would be oh so terribly cruel,” Lee said rolling her eyes.

“But she hasn't asked me, so…” He trails off looking away and taking a bite of his waffles.

“If you want to go with her, just make it happen. Put yourself out there.” Rufus said encouraging his son.

“This thing happens in a matter of hours. The window for bold gestures is officially closed.”

“Whatever you say Lonely Boy.” She pats him on the back. "Whatever you say."

He shot her a glare when the phone starts ringing. “Is that her?” Rufus asked looking at his son's phone.

“Uh, no, it's actually Vanessa.”  He said a little bit surprised to see her name on his phone. 

“Vanessa? That's been a while.” Rufus said sipping on his cup of coffee.

The phone kept ringing as he stared at the phone. “You gonna answer that?” She asked, waving in her hand to break his little trance.

“Of course. Why wouldn't I?” He finally answers the phone. “Hello? Vanessa.”

“Put it on speakerphone please,” Lee said to Dan as they huddled around him so they could see if it was true.

“So what's up?” She asked.

“Nothing really. How's Vermont, Nessa?" Lee asked. They hadn't talked much so she was glad that she was here for the call with Nessa.

“It’s been good.” There was a pause. “Do you still have my copy of ‘The Crying of Lot 49’?”