Woman on the Verge

“Come on Vanessa it hurry up. Your taking forever," Lee whined practically dragging Vanessa out of the cafe after having their morning shift so they could help Rufus this afternoon.

"Okay… Okay, I get it. I'm coming as fast as I can but maybe if you let me use my own two feet maybe I could be a bit faster." Vanessa says trying to get out of the girl's death grip but nothing worked.

"I just… I can't wait to hear Rufus perform an actual live performance,” Lee said with a wide smile.

“You are so weird sometimes,” Vanessa said as she was about to put on her helmet when she noticed Nate coming around the corner.

Nate put his arms around Vanessa. “And here I thought I had your schedule memorized.”

Vanessa pushed a lock of her hair out her face. “I switched shifts and just got off.”

Lee nudged Vanessa. “Yeah, we’re Dan's dad's roadie for the day, so we have to bail-in, like, five.”

She looks over at Nate. “I might not mind the stalking but when are you gonna ask me on a real date?” She asked.

Nate was about to answer when his phone started ringing. “Uh, hold that thought. Sorry.” He pulled away from her and answered the phone. “Hello? Yeah. yeah, okay, I'll be right there.” He walked back to the girls. “Look, I'm sorry. I... I gotta go.”

Vanessa nodded. “So I heard.”

“No, no, no. it's not what you think. It's just... What are you doing tonight?” He asked, putting his arms around her again.

Vanessa giggled. “Uh... Me and Lee, Lincoln Hawk, a dirty van and a lot of cables?”

“Can I meet you at the concert?” He asks.

She bit her tongue. “Can you be there at 7:30?”

“It's a date."

Vanessa smiles. “Finally,” She yelled grabbing her helmet from the back of her bike.

“Text me the address.” He said before leaving.

Lee started poking at her friend's side. “Never thought you would be dating one of those idle rich kids?”

Vanessa rolled her eyes nudging at Lee. “And I bet you never thought you would love a fish either.”

Lee shook her head. “I don’t love him. I just love the sex. There’s a pretty big difference.” They were about to go when Lee’s phone started ringing. “I guess it must be the season for getting calls.”

She picked up the phone to hear Dan. “Hey, Lee do by any chance know where Serena is?”

“Unless for some reason Serena recently took an interest in 90’s bands then I highly doubt I’m gonna see her. Have you tried calling her?”

“Oh well, I didn't know whether I should or not...” He said sounding pretty defeated.

“Hey before you hang up. If you and Serena are fighting you should probably buy her flowers… Well unless she is allergic then you should just stick with chocolate… And if she can’t have that either well then… then you really picked one Humphrey.” Lee said.

“Hey don’t worry I see Sarah so I’ll just see you tonight.” He said really quickly.

“Yeah see you…” She trailed off realizing he hung up on her. 

“Was that Dan,” Vanessa asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Lee shrugged Vanessa off her. “We should probably get going.” She said giving a half-smile as she put on her helmet.