Seventeen Candles

“I still can’t believe you’re gonna be working with me from now on,” Lee said as Vanessa puts on her apron.

“Yeah well...” She trailed off hearing one of her coworkers say something.

“God, I hate people in love.” Their coworker grumbled under her breath.

Lee looked over noticing Dan pointing them out to his girlfriend. Serena looked over and Dan gave us a wave like he wasn’t expecting them.

She looked over at Lee and Vanessa. “Ah, Lovebirds ready to order?”

“Oh, I'll take 'em,” Vanessa said walking over to Dan and Serena.

“Hi… So, uh, you… You work here now?” Dan asked scratching the back of his neck.

“I did mention that, but you've been distracted.” Vanessa looks over at Serena. “Vanessa.”

“Nice to see you again, Serena,” Lee said with a smile.

Serena wasn’t paying much attention to Lee though as she looked to Vanessa. “This time you're seeing less of me.”

“Sorry about that… Walking in when you were, you know yeah…. So you guys are up early. What did you do last night?” Lee nudged Vanessa and she realized what she said and started shaking her head. “Oh, my God. I totally didn't mean to pry.”

“You're not prying. Why would you think you're prying?” 

“No reason.” Dan and Vanessa said in unison.

“Did you tell her?” Serena asked looking at Dan.

He shook his head. “What? No. What's to tell?”

“I know nothing, but if you guys did the thing I know nothing about, then I would totally support that.” Lee tries to pull Nessa away but she was practically stuck there like glue.

“Thanks, Vanessa. Good to know in the event that should happen.”

“Oh, meaning it didn't happen?” She asked putting a hand on her hip.

“Meaning I don't even know what we're talking about right now.”

“I know I'm lost,” Lee mumbled.

“And I should get lost, the first day. I have lots of tables.” She said finally leaving the couple scratching the top of her head.

“Clearly,” Dan mumbled looking around the empty restaurant.

“I’m sorry for her. I thought she told you. I… I just wanted to get an earlier shift today so I could help her if she was confused but now it just...”

“It’s okay Lee really it’s fine.”

~~~

It was the next day of work. Lee and Vanessa were closing shop when Dan came in to talk to the girls.

“I’m sorry I came here unannounced I just… A lot has been happening lately.”

“What’s wrong, Humphrey? Right now I’ll be your therapist for today.”

“Jenny got my mom to come from Hudson and... I just… I don’t think even… even if my dad somehow forgives her. I don’t think I can. She left for the summer then promises to come back but where was she? Oh, right she decided staying at Hudson would be better.” We finally get out of the store and he continues. “Well, thanks for listening to me complain about my family all afternoon.”

“Oh, Look, I know it's hard right now but your family's one of the good ones, and your parents really love each other.”

“They'll figure it out, and in the meantime, you've got us,” Lee said putting an arm around him.