Chapter 3

The night was cold. But it couldn't touch Misty's determined heart. She wasn't afraid. She didn't overanalyze her rash choices. The mission ahead was set and planned. Worry wasn't an option. Second-guessing wasn't an option. She kept her eyes on her goal. The weather and thoughts in her mind whirling around couldn't distract her, not in the slightest.

It's been one day since Misty left. All on her own, without another soul to keep her company. She traveled the nights and slept through the days. Hunting only when she was hungry so not to waste time. She slept from the time the sun came up and rose when it disappeared behind the horizon.

Misty didn't mind being alone. She didn't want to risk any more of her family. Their lives were too precious to lose. She's already lost the ones who meant so much to her.

Somehow, she could feel herself changing, changing into something powerful, vengeful, full of hate.

The rain soaking her pelt only drove her on. She couldn't feel it. Nothing could touch her.  Getting sick was of no concern to her.

Misty paused to take in her surroundings. She glanced back over her shoulder, taking one last look at her home. The most familiar place in the world. Everything beyond this point was unknown, waiting to leap out at her and take her down into its claws.

But Misty wasn't afraid. Her heart pumped with nothing but excitement, anticipation weaving in her veins. A taste of something new, fresh, challenging. Misty knew she would have the journey of a lifetime.

~~~

Misty caught a decent rabbit just as she was certain she would go to bed hungry. Then she had to defend her meal from a couple of irritating coyotes. She killed one, and the other ran off with its tail between its legs.

Misty found a tree root to sleep under, big enough to shield her from the wind and rain. There, she ate her dinner, ignoring the cuts she received from the coyotes.

Being on her own had its benefits. She could do things according to her needs. She could sleep as long as she wanted, hunt when she was hungry, and keep moving as she pleased. And, she didn't have to worry about endangering her loved ones.

A shiver passed through her, enough to make her feel chilled. Instantly, she knew her mate was with her. She wasn't alone. Someone would always walk at her side, guiding her and comforting her.

Rascal wouldn't rest until Misty had avenged him. She will kill Mystique, find that monster and make her suffer. That would release Rascal, bringing him to peace. Misty was certain of it. Only she could help him to peace.

Misty passed her tongue over her jaws when she finished eating, watching the sky come to life as another day began. She wasn't sure how long she sat and watched the light, but eventually, she eased herself into a much needed comfortable sleep.

~~~

"Misty!" Rascal shouted, sounding breathless.

Misty rolled her eyes and kept walking, ignoring the newcomer's voice.

She couldn't believe that Tyrant wanted this intruder to stay. He's sure worn out his welcome. Misty was done catering toward him and his needs. She's trained him, helped his leg heal, and show him how things were done around here. Yet, he somehow attached himself to her like a tick to a rabbit.

"Hey!" Rascal matched her stride, catching up to her at last. "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere." She replied tartly.

Rascal ignored her rude tone. "Well, can I come?"

Misty let her lip curl. "Why?"

Rascal shrugged, looking innocent. "Tyrant wants you to watch me. At least, that's what he said."

"What are you, a newborn pup?" She snapped.

"I'm just telling you what he said. Don't get so angry." He muttered the last part under his breath.

"Why wouldn't I be angry?" Misty snarled loudly.

Rascal didn't respond to that.

He matched her stride for stride, making sure to keep up with her, as she picked up the pace on purpose. But one of his steps was about three of hers, so he had no problem keeping up with her.

"You must be a pretty trusted wolf if Tyrant needs you for a lot." He talked a little too cheerily.

Misty snorted. "Yeah, I'm just as skilled and strategic as the older wolves. They take advice from me sometimes."

Rascal's eyes widened. "Wow." He looked down at his paws, seeming a little embarrassed. "I've seen you train. You're really talented."

Oddly enough, Misty felt her heart skip a beat. Why are a stranger's compliments making her feel so good about herself?

"Thanks." She whispered shyly, bumping into Rascal's shoulder playfully, attempting to ease the awkward atmosphere.

But she only made it worse. Rascal smiled awkwardly, his face heating up.

Misty couldn't control the thrumming in her chest. Could he hear it? She felt like she had been running a mile, but like she could run a hundred.

Misty glanced at Rascal. He had his eyes on the ground, ears back all shy. It was obvious he was trying to be normal but after the odd interaction just a moment before, he was acting strange.

Misty shook out her nerves. "I'm just checking the border scouts. It's my turn today and I have to gather the daily report."

"How far away are the borders?" Rascal cleared up his previous mood.

"Far. It's a long walk, but I don't mind it. It gives me time to be alone."

"You like being alone?"

"Yeah," Misty shrugged casually. "I don't like being very social. Living with my Packmates is about all I can handle."

"You're too...sweet to live alone."

Here come the awkward butterflies.

Misty smiled, grunting in agreement. No one has ever called her sweet before. Was she sweet? How does one be sweet?

Misty decided to try and give a compliment back. She's never done this before, so that could be why it feels so weird.

She looked at Rascal, mesmerized by his friendly sparkling eyes, his smiley face, and kind personality.

"You're really...cute..."

Rascal's ears perked up at her words. He laughed shyly and had the courage to look into Misty's eyes.

"Thank you..."

~~~

Misty woke up, feeling giddy and shy, just like she did then.