Chapter 4

Having completed a dangerous hunt, Storm and his Packmates sat gathered around in camp, cleaning the dirt and blood off their pelts.

The bull elk charged and hit two wolves:  Swift and Asa. Fortunately for Asa, she didn't get hurt too bad but was ordered by Blossom that she wouldn't be allowed to participate in daily activities for a while. The young she-wolf in training wasn't happy about that but didn't try to argue.

Swift, on the other paw, was in the medicine den, knocked unconscious by the painful hooves of the bull elk. No one was permitted to see him. Blossom turned away anyone that wanted to see him. Even Isaac and Brave. Blossom kept a calm demeanor, but Storm could tell that she was inwardly afraid for her son.

Frost, Thunder, and Storm sat away from the kill, letting their Packmates pick out their fill.

"Those young wolves are lucky that they aren't dead." Frost murmured after a long silence. "That elk was quite aggressive."

Thunder agreed. "We should be more careful next time. Maybe we shouldn't have brought Asa with us. At least, not until she was more experienced."

"That would have been best." Frost sighed. "She could have been in a critical accident. We know better than that."

"It's not your fault." Storm chimed in, compassion toward the older wolves. "Everyone agreed she was ready for a hunt like this."

Thunder looked at Storm, guilt glimmering in his amber eyes. "It's the senior wolves' job to make sure that the young ones don't get hurt too bad. They are the future of this Pack. Without them, there would be no future."

He was right.

Storm wasn't sure what else to say. He looked up in time to see River approaching. Excusing himself, he stood and met his brother halfway. River's blue eyes were wide and fearful.

Storm knew he was worried about Asa.

After all, River has liked Asa ever since they were little. They became good friends, but nothing more than that. Not yet, anyway, because Asa was still in her training season. But in about a month, she would earn her place among the hunters and fighters of the Pack. River would have his chance to express his love for her.

"Have you seen Asa since the accident?" River asked in anticipation. He was there during the hunt. And when Asa got hurt, he carried her all the way back.

Storm shook his head. "No. Blossom is finishing up with her right now. She should be out in a minute."

River looked like a nervous wreck as he sat next to his brother, staring in the direction of Blossom's den. His ears were pricked and alert.

Things seemed more on edge ever since Misty left on her quest for revenge. Storm felt like he was responsible for his siblings' actions. He was thankful that River wasn't caught up in the danger of the hunt. As much as he hated to see his Packmates in pain, he would feel even worse if his brothers or sister were the ones injured.

"How are you doing, Storm?" River asked unexpectedly.

"Huh?"

"I mean how have you been? You know, since Ma left?"

The question made Storm's heart sink. He tried not thinking about his mother out there, all alone, no one to help her if she was badly hurt or sick. He hated thinking about it.

"As good as I can be," Storm admitted. "I'm worried about her. I know that she is one of the most skilled wolves in Flame Woods Pack. But is that enough to get her through the threats of the outside world?"

River didn't answer. That's because Asa emerged from the den. River jumped right up, and respectfully let Alusia and Silvi see her first before blinking at her worriedly.

"Are you alright?" He prompted softly.

Asa smiled, her amber and green eyes shining toward her friend. "I'm fine, River. My leg is pretty sore, but Blossom says I'll be just fine with time and rest."

River visibly sagged with relief. "I'm glad." He awkwardly looked at his paws.

Asa murmured something like a "see you later" before limping away with her mother and sister at her sides.

"Asa." River suddenly said.

The silver and white she-wolf blinked at him. "Yes?"

He approached her as he spoke. "If you don't mind, I want to help you get better. I'll bring you water, I can fetch your meal from the kill, I'll even get a softer pelt for you if it'll make you more comfortable. I just want to help."

Asa face melted into appreciation. "Thank you. I would like that. You're a great friend River."

River almost flinched at the word "friend" but shook his head. "It's no problem."

Asa grinned and limped to her den with Alusia and Silvi beside her.

Storm watched the whole thing with a mischievous smirk on his face.

River glanced at his brother and furrowed his brow. "What's so funny, Storm?"

"Nothing." The more Storm tried to hide his grin, the wider it got.

River's face seemed to be heating up by the second. He looked like he was either about to cry or snap Storm's neck.

"I didn't realize you liked her that much." Storm snickered.

"Shut up!" River whisper-yelled, glancing around nervously to make sure no one was catching on to the conversation.

Storm tried to control his expressions. He didn't want to embarrass River. River is a really sensitive wolf, so he was probably having a heart attack on the inside.

"I'm not gonna tell anybody." Storm finally managed to compose himself. "I'm not like Ash."

River seemed comforted by Storm's words. He nodded, looking much more relaxed. "Thanks. I don't think I want my personal life being thrown around like a bone with meat on it."

Storm chuckled. "Don't worry about it. Just don't let Ash hear you."

"Let me hear what?"

Storm's eyes widened. He turned to see Ash looking at them with a confused, yet curious expression on his face.

River's face visibly paled underneath his fur.

Storm wasn't about to tell Ash River's personal business. "None of your concern."

"Umm no. I heard my name, therefore I'm in this conversation." Ash looked back and forth between his brothers. "Now spill."

"No, thanks. Go away." Storm began shooing Ash away with his tail.

The stubborn brother rolled his eyes and batted Storm's tail away. "Geez, mom, I was only wondering."

"Well go wonder about something else, okay?" Storm snorted.

"I think I have my rights." Ash stood up but glanced back over his shoulder. "Speaking of wondering, have any of you seen Clover?"

River and Storm exchanged a glance then shook their heads together.

Ash's face contorted to puzzlement. "Huh, that's odd. Maybe she's out with Ripple. I'll see if I can find her." Ash left his brothers when he entered the woods.