Chapter 8

Finally, a decent day. Warm shafts of sunlight melted through the treetops. The air didn't feel quite so heavy. It was lighter, fresher.

Clover touched Zeus's nose, inhaling his scent, feeling safe by his side. He is her whole world. She wanted to be with him forever. Her heart was full of him. No other wolf could make her feel the way she felt when she is with Zeus.

Sneaking away from her brothers every night was a huge risk. Every spare moment she had, she went to see Zeus. She made excuses for not being able to hunt or patrol. Saying she didn't feel well, or that her paws were hurting, or that she was given a day off. They always believed her but grew more concerned with her health. After all, she was a very sickly pup, no one thought she would live to grow up.

Of course, Clover couldn't skip every hunt. She had to take her shift with the scouting groups. But even when she is busy, her mind always drifted back to Zeus. It hurt not being able to see him every day. Hard to wake up without him by her side. It was impossible to keep him off her mind.

She ached to be with him every day. To see his smiling face and handsome blue eyes. Hear his perfect laugh and feel his soft pelt against hers.

Every moment they spent together was precious. They savored their time together as if it would be their last.

"I've missed you," Zeus whispered.

Clover closed her eyes and leaned against him. "I'm so sorry. I have to keep up my duties in my Pack. It's hard for me to sneak away to see you."

"Hey, I understand. I have to keep my responsibilities too. They know I'm sneaking off, so they keep me extremely busy and someone is almost always watching me."

"I'm so sorry, it's my fault."

"Don't blame yourself. I love being with you, Clover. There's no other wolf I'd rather be with." He murmured.

Clover smiled and looked into his eyes. How easy it was to get lost in them. A perfect world was shining his sparkling eyes.

"You're sure no one knows?" Clover pressed.

Zeus nodded. "I'm positive. I mean, I wish I could tell my sister. It's hard not to be able to share these things with her. She's my best friend."

"I love my brothers, but I would never tell them." She nestled into his fur. "But I love you more."

He rested his chin on her head. He pulled back with regret on his face. "My Packmates will be wondering where I am. I can't put you in danger, Clover."

Her heart sunk. He was leaving.

Zeus grinned softly, but sadly. "Don't be sad, I'll always be thinking of you." He licked her cheek.

Clover placed a paw over one of his. She held on to this moment. It would get her through the time without his presence.

Zeus scanned the bushes for any sign that they were being watched. Then, he swiftly disappeared within the trees. Clover listened to his paw steps fade away and let out a heavy sigh. Now, she sat alone in the forest, listening to the sounds around her.

"Clover?"

Her heart leaped to her throat. Fur bristling, she spun around, making eye contact with River.

He stood there, shaking his head in utter disbelief. His ears were flat against his head, shock written on his face.

Clover gulped, instantly her heart sped up. She wracked her mind for an excuse, for an explanation or answer to make River believe her. But the truth was out. There was no going back.