Ch.4 Figuring Out

Life was going by relatively fast it seemed like. It felt like it was Christmas break just the other day and now it's February and my 16th birthday was fast approaching. My birthday was March 13th and it was currently February 3rd. My whole family would not leave me alone. I was currently in my living room focusing on homework. All of my friends were doing their own things. It was a Saturday night. It made sense. Seth was out with friends, Libby was studying, Cleo was partying and Dylan was probably playing video games.

Auntie was still at work so that left Aspen and I alone at home. She was in her room per usual. It was annoying that I couldn't focus on my homework. In fact as the days went by leading up to my birthday it was hard to focus on anything. My grades have dwindled greatly and I barley hung out with my friends. I would try, but it seemed like they were always busy.

I currently stared at the math problem blankly, the sound of tribal drums slowly coming to hear. I rubbed my face thinking I was going crazy. However I still heard them. What the fuck? I looked around trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. The drums slowly got louder and the house started to shake. I quickly stood up and balanced myself when I heard something crash from upstairs. I heard a evil laughter and quickly whipped my head to the staircase only to see a shadowy figure wisp down the staircase. My eyes widened as I stared at it. I then heard the laughter echo and fell back onto the couch when the shadow came toward me. I saw Aspen quickly run down the stairs with a odd vase in hand.

"Ut auferat malum, non veniet iterum hodie!" She yells before the shadowy figure is swooped into the vase and she quickly closes it. I stare at her in shock as she breathes heavily.
"What the actual hell." I whisper and place my hand over my heart. Aspen slowly turns to me obviously shocked.
"Don't tell my mom."
"I- What was that?" I yell causing her to sigh out.
"Has my mother not told you yet?" She asks.
"Tell me what?" I ask causing her face to drop.
"You're about to turn 16 and she hasn't told you? Ridiculous." She snickers out with a shake of her head. I watch in confusion as she walks back upstairs with the vase in her hand. I quickly get up and follow Aspen upstairs while calling her name.

"Hey! I want answers!"
"You'll get them when Helena comes home!" Aspen says before making her way into her room. Before she could shut the door I stick my foot out stopping her.
"Doubtful." I challenge causing Aspen to glare at me. She looks to the left as if she was listening to someone talk before looking at me. Her lips forming into a tight line before relaxing and looking at me.
"We will talk about it once Helena gets home." She says before shutting her door. I sigh out and make my way back downstairs, the energy around the staircase feeling evil and wrong.

It was only a matter of minutes before Auntie Helena came home and she automatically stopped once she closed the front door. Her eyes looking at the staircase then at me. "What happened?" She asks in serious. Before I could even speak Aspen came down the stairs, calm and collected.
"I think it's time to tell Gwenaël, mother."

My family...my whole family was a coven. A coven of witches that was slowly splitting apart due to conflict of practice. Culprina Academy wasn't just your ordinary prep school. No...it was a school for witches that taught them about their religions and helped them practice their magical abilities to enhance them.
"There's 3 main types of witch. You have your Pagan witches, your New England witches and your Voodoo and or Hoodoo witches. Within those three main ones there are sub categories. Hedge witches, satanic witches, green witches and much much more." Auntie explains to me. "Our family is Pagan."
"You're Pagan." Aspen corrects.
"I've raised you girls Pagan." Auntie snaps before sighing out. "Our....family. Your grandparents and cousins. They're New England, Satanic witches." I felt like the air was knocked out of me. All I could do was listen in shock. I knew my family were witches, yes, but I didn't know it was to this extent. I always just classified someone a witch if they were into spiritual stuff. I didn't actually think my family was involved like this.