07| Where I left you

Wahaj's POV

I groaned, my head slipping as my eyes fluttered open slowly taking in my surroundings. I was in a hospital room that much I could tell from the smell and the bed I was laying in. I closed my eyes again as I remembered the accident.

Ya Allah, What a Stupid Professor...

I opened my eyes again, my attention was caught by the man asleep in the chair next to me. My breath catching in my throat and the heart monitor I was hooked up to started to go crazy.

"Wahaj?" He was groggy as his eyes opened and found focus on me. It was only when he squeezed my hand did I realize he was holding onto me as if I might slip away and he was real.

I was dreaming, of course, I was dreaming. Wasn't I?!!

"P-app-. What... How... You're dead." My voice is hoarse, it sounds like I've eaten sand, and it feels even worse. I try to contain the tears some but I can't, the fight against my own emotions is fruitless.

"Pa-" My voice cracked again as I tried to push myself up into a sitting position. I welcomed his help as he took me by the elbows carefully, and pulled me up before grabbing the glass of water sitting on the side table.

He held it up for me, waiting patiently as I took a sip and relished the feeling of the cold water sliding down my burning throat, as I couldn't keep my eyes away from him.

"Better?" He asked before sitting back down and placing the cup back where he had got it from. My eyes looked at him with glistening expression.

"Much, th-a-ank you." Still hoarse, I let my eyes closed as I rode out a wave of pain. "Am I in Jannah ?"

I could hear his laugh from when I was a five-year-old enjoying his company. "No Skittles, It is early for you," He said in his angelic voice.

I didn't want to question if I was in a dream or not or If he was really there because I just wanted five more minutes with him. Alhamdulillah...

"I forgot what you called me, I finally remember... Skittles" I weakly said as I remembered the nickname he used to always call me.

I didn't know how, but I slipped back into sleep.

Opening my eyes again is the hardest thing I've ever done. Blinking is hell, it takes me long seconds to open and close my eyes again and again until my vision is somewhat clear. I push myself up onto my elbows, and it seems to take hours. I suddenly realize that it was really a dream, papa was gone and instead I was met with a frightened-looking Mama Ghada surrounded by my cousin Eylul and both my aunts Miray and Selen.

"Wahaj, Habibti. It's me, it's your jida (Grandma)." Her voice like always was soft, and it sounds like it's soothed many children. She began adjusting the Hijab on my head after giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"You have no idea how good it is to see those black doe eyes again." A tear streaks its way down Mama Ghada fair cheek. Why is she crying just because she gets to see my eyes? Shouldn't she be yelling and throwing the slippers in my direction for entering a car with the Professor?

I glance over toward Eylul, standing next to Mama Ghada and over my bed, who seemed to have been crying for at least a full day, her eyes are swollen and red. I then proceed to look over at both of my aunts who were in the same state as Eylul.

"I am fine, It was just a small accident," I added.

"Sm-all accident?" I look up at my aunt Miray, my eyes feel huge, but I can't help it. Her voice gets low, as she leans in closer to my face.

"You don't know, do you Habibti ?" Mama Ghada asked.

"Know what?" I asked, surprised.

"Wahaj, you were missing for twenty-one days." What? How could this be? I don't remember. But unfortunately, my voice aches too much for me to inquire about all of this. So I settle with one word.

"Missing ?" My heartaches as I say it.

"Yeah, You and the Professor were missing for 21 days. The car was found in the crash, but both of you weren't, and we never stopped searching for you, but Alhamdulillah, Allah is great, he returned you back into my arms." My grandma finishes. Tears started rolling again on my grandmother's face. Eylul storms out of the room and my aunt Miray follow behind her instantly, after my grandmother sign her to do so.

I take a deep breath, trying to remain calm. Ya Allah... What was happing ?! It's not working too well, so I let long minutes of silence as I recite a Dua. When I finally do speak again, it is nothing more than a horse whisper. "How long did you say?"

"Well..." My aunt Seren interprets as my grandmother, was finding it harder to talk with her sobbing. She takes a deep breath through her nose. "Technically you've been missing for nineteen days since the accident happened twenty-one days ago, nine hours and twenty minutes ago, but who's counting? " I let out a bark of a laugh at that as I try to contain my laughter and just like always aunt Seren was attempting to light the mood up when everyone is miserable, she didn't know how to read the room.

"I am going to go pray Salat ash-shukr, (Prayer of Thankfulness)" My grandma says to always show gratitude to Allah for his countless graces, and she always leads by example.

"Aunt Seren," I began softly as Mama Ghada leaves the room. "Can you help me get out of the bed ?" I ask her as I was holding myself from breaking down.

"No, don't do this stay in the bed, Wahaj please," My aunt begs as she knows pretty well how stubborn I can be. "Where do you wanna go anyways ? I will get you what you want ?!"

"I am going to go yell at the Professor, he is the one who drove really fast that I thought I was going to die," I added as I fix my hijab and try to lean on the edge of the bed to stand up.

"The Professor is in graver shape than you, he was found two hours before you were, in the street where the crash happened, but according to the reports he was transported to a different hospital," She said as she went to the side of the bed and began settling me back in the bed.

"How were we found in the street two hours, when you said that-" My voice began to crack again as I wasn't able to continue what I was saying about being missing for 21 days.

Where were we ?!!

My aunts face paled as she seemed to understand where my question was leading to, "The therapist will come shortly, we shouldn't talk about this anymore, just relax now okay, I am going to get you some water since you have already drank the one next to you and I will call the nurse on my way," My aunt Seren said as she kissed my cheek and fled.

My water was gone, Was he really there ?! I asked myself...

Before I could answer it. A train of memory hit me that made me not be able to contain myself, tears flow as I remember. That moment as I was about to die, It was intoxicating. All I could remember was how much Allah has blessed me with and how much I disobey Him, thinking that I had so much time in this world that I felt it didn't matter if I changed now or tomorrow. But life was short, I could have died. I can never repay Allah for everything he has done for me. Yet, I still blatantly commit sins both big and small: whether it's backbiting, hurting other human beings, not standing up for the truth, treating my family poorly, lying, doing good deeds to show off, cheating, etc.

Author Note :

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

I apologize for leaving you guys with a cliffhanger the last chapter. I made sure this chapter didn't have any. So what do you guys predict will happen next? 

Please don't forget to Vote and Comment!!

See you next chapter which will be tommorrow, Inshallah

Byeee..