24| Grandma Knows Everything

Wahaj's POV

I read it through three times, yet remained in disbelief. My heart was pounding so loudly; I wondered if my aunt could hear it. I looked up to find her watching me closely.

"You know we need to tell Ma," She reminded me, "You need to tell Yilmaz," She said. "You also need to decide to move in with him seriously," she kept going on and on about things I should do and people I should talk to.

While she kept on adding to the long list, I drifted to the fact I had to face him. My eyes shifted as we both paused when we came in front of my grandmother's room as I prepared for a confrontation that couldn't lead to anything good.

A few seconds later, the door swung open to reveal my grandmother, who looked at us curiously.

"Why are you both standing outside my room ?" She asked questionably.

"Umm, actually, Ma, I'm going to go. Umm...Wahaj has something to tell you," Aunt Seren said hesitatingly as she shifted her weight to the other leg uncomfortably.

"Okay, bye! Wahaj, Bye Ma," with that she went downstairs and exited the house as I could hear the sound of the door.

"Look, don't freak out, okay?" I warned. "I-I'm married," I held my breath in silence as I waited for all Jahanam to break loose. All of a sudden, my grandmother burst out in laughter, breaking the tense moment.

"Oh my, Wahaj, for a second there, you almost had me fooled! Ohh, seriously, don't do that to me again. I nearly had a heart attack!" My grandmother looked visibly relieved when she thought that it was all a joke.

"Kerem died almost eight months ago; you are a widow!" She stated in assistance. "You and Elian didn't get married," she continued, "And I have raised you better than to go and marry from the streets," My grandmother finishes her conclusion.

"The Professor," I added. "I got married to him," I closed my eyes as soon as the words came out of my mouth, hoping I didn't see her face all disappointed.

She laughed again.

"No, Mama Ghada, it's true. I wish that I was joking, but I am not,"

I said hesitantly when I looked at her face as it was veered from amusement to disbelief in a matter of seconds. "I-I'm scared, Mama Ghada. What should I do?"

After I saw that my grandma didn't utter a word, "I'm sorry! I didn't mean for it to happen. I just-" I stopped, "When, where and how ?" She tried to reason with me after she saw how serious I was.

"When I was missing," I replied. "My father took me, and I didn't remember anything — Wallah (I swear). I wanted to be near him because I didn't know what he has done, I wanted for him to repent for the Yilmaz's family," My voice stuck in my throat, knowing that there was no way I could reason with her after I saw the look on her face.