54| Her Prejudices

6 Months Later

Wahaj's POV 

"You conniving witch," I breathe, a smile I couldn't make disappear rises on my face as I saw him.

His chest heaves. He closes his eyes, and I can tell that he's torn and that he will be of no use for me unless he is Ibrahim, that conniving witch that I knew that played life like a chess game.

I was looking at him from afar as he exits the prison ward after only six months of trying, he finally made parole. With a song in his heart, Yilmaz took off his orange prison uniform and put on his trousers and blazer, the same outfit he wore on the day of his arrest.

He seemed to look eager to see the outside world again. Yilmaz let the guard escort him through security. He walked out the door of the prison and into the parking lot. From there, he saw the familiar faces.

The little girls I held dear both gasps when they see their father emerge after six months of not seeing him but writing and sending images they captured to him by letters. 

"Mama, it's Baba! It's Baba!" They jump up and down, trying to free themselves from my grasp. "I want to go to him!". Layan determined. 

"He's coming right in, Darlings." I try to soothe them, running my hand down Layan's long hair as we watch him kissing his parents' forehead and giving Ahmad a long hug as his mother couldn't let go of him.

"Why don't we go near him?" Lila protested as we stood beside my grandmother's old car that I was now using.

I didn't want to tell the girls that his mother is going to kill me if she saw me approach even near his parameter since she had already warned me several times. 

I sigh. "No, my love. Lets let his family greet him first-."

I was interrupted by an annoyed groan, "We are his family too,"

Layan even after spending just a short amount of time with her father, she seemed to be her father's girl. I never told them what happened exactly or what was going on because I was waiting for them to get a little older to tell them, but she only knew one thing that I was the cause of her father not being beside her.

After a few minutes, I saw him approaching our direction; his eyes found mine immediately.

For a split second, we hold each other's gazes, but the nervous and probably out-of-place smile I'm wearing falters when I see how furious he appears. Of course, he has. His photos were all over the newspaper. His reputation was beyond repair. He lost his job. His future ambitions. His time with his daughters. 

"I won't let you break their hearts! And the alternative would mean you'd have to give everything up, Ibrahim! Everything! Stop and think about that and you'll see it as clearly as I do! Your future aspirations, any future research plans will be eliminated. All you have ever wanted will be taken away. Once everyone knows what you did, You will be fired from your job as a professor, may be sentenced to jail time because of the ethics you broke in gene manipulation,"