Official Meeting

Charles knew there would be another banquet that Henry would have, he tended to have them more often. He arrived and looked around the room, the corner of the room, alone was Katherine. He could see she looked distressed and had been crying. He cleared the distanced between them and reached out and touched her arm. Startled she looked up at him, he moved a stray hair from her face and moved his finger over the bruise that was formed on her cheek.
"What happened?" He asked her. Katherine looked back down and turned away. Charles walked toward Henry, Henry looked up and saw he looked distressed and stood and walked to him.
"What seems to be the problem Charles?"
"This." He said leading Henry back over to Katherine.
"Your majesty." Katherine said bowing deeply. Henry gently pulled to a standing position and placed his finger under her chin. A bruise had formed on her cheek.
"Did the queen do this?" He asked her.
"Yes your majesty."
"Why?"
"I was seen speaking to his grace." Katherine answered looking to Charles.
"So she struck you because of that?"
"Yes your majesty." Katherine answered, she looked up and could see he did not look happy. He looked at them and then turned and went to the table he was sitting at with Anne.
Katherine lowered her eyes and waited unsure of what was to be done.
"This was not your fault, she dislikes me and when she saw that we had spoke she became angry."
"Yes your grace." She said keeping her eyes down.
"I wasn't always. I was a low member of the kings court."
"Truly?"
"Yes, I was made a Duke when I was taking the kings sister to Portugal."
"Oh. Is she the wife you recently lost?"
"That is correct."
They both looked up as Henry walked to them.
"Lady Brice you will be given your own chambers, you will remain to help the queen but will not be with her at all times. Charles here can court you if you both choose."
"Won't the queen be angry that I will still be in her service but not always in her chambers?"
"She knows better than argue with me."
"Thank you your majesty." Katherine said bowing.
"You are welcome." He said to her. Henry left them both alone, Katherine looked toward Anne and could see she was angry with her. Katherine looked away, Charles placed his hand on her arm and saw her recoil from his touch.
"Answer me something my lady."
"Yes your grace?"
"Have you ever been with a man?"
"No your grace." She answered him. Charles was amazed by her quick response.
"But I must go your grace." Katherine said to him, leaving with the other women following Anne back to her chambers. Once the door was closed Anne again screamed at her.
"You went to the king?"
"No your majesty I did not. His grace did."
"You told him what I said correct."
"Yes your majesty."
"And yet he felt it was his right to say something to the king."
"Yes your majesty."
"I was told you now have a small apartment of your own."
"Yes your majesty." Katherine answered.
"The rules still are as they are, you are to stay away from Charles Brandon."
"Yes your majesty."
"Now go to your own apartment, I am done with you this evening."
"Thank you your majesty." Katherine said bowing, leaving the chamber. The man outside the room led her to the small apartment. She walked inside and sat down in one of the chairs as the door was pulled closed. Tears rolled down her cheeks knowing that now her every move would be watched no matter what she did. There was a knock at the door but she never moved from where she sat. Until she saw movement.
"Your majesty." She said standing and bowing deeply.
"Why do you weep?"
"No reason your majesty."
"A woman does not weep for no reason."
"I am forbidden from speaking to Lord Suffolk."
"Truly she still feels she can go against what I say."
"I do not mean to cause quarles between you and your queen."
"She does that on her own. But I will speak to her again."
"Your majesty it will only cause her to become more angry with me."
"I will speak with her." He told her.
"As you wish your majesty." Katherine answered, she looked up as the door opened and Anne walked in.
"So not only are you trying to bed with Brandon but my husband as well."
"But your majesty, I wasn't." Katherine started, Anne cleared the distanced between them and backhanded her. Katherine reached up and touched her now bloody lip.
"My apologies your majesty." Katherine said bowing.
"That was uncalled for. I was not here for that." Henry said to her. Anne looked almost insulted by his comment. Katherine stood in silence and waited as they both turned and left the room. She reached up and touched her split lip and sat bad down. Her pride had been wounded more than anything, her father had taught her to fight back but not against the queen. She sat down and sighed, she also knew that telling one like Charles Brandon to stay away was like a challenge.