Love and Devotion

It had been nearly two months had been married and daily Katherine wore the circlet her father had sent. Most ladies of court wore something similar. She looked to see a large package sitting on the table. Charles arrived from his time at the palace and she could see he was stressed.
"What is wrong?"
"Oh nothing." He answered her.
"Charles I've see you looking like this before, this is the most stressed I've seen you. What happened?"
"Queen Jane is with child and it seems was heavy with child when we were married. She is due any day."
"That is wonderful news."
"Henry is worried."
"Why?"
"I really don't know he just is." Charles told her, Katherine touched his arm to reassure him.
"We will go to the palace tomorrow. To see how Queen Jane is doing."
Charles nodded and headed into the other room, Katherine worried about him and knew he was tired.
They had gone to bed and had been a sleep several hours when they were awakened by one of the servants. Charles rolled over and looked at them.
"What is it?"
"Queen Jane has had her baby."
"That is wonderful, but why wake us?"
"The king had ordered us to wake you."
"Why?"
"We fear there is something wrong with the queen."
"Ready my horse, I will ride to the palace at once." Charles told him. He bowed as he started from the room.
"Yes your grace."
"Do you want me to go along?"
"No, if there is something as bad as is made out I would rather you stay here."
"Alright, I will stay here." Katherine said to him. She had news of her own but it could wait.
Katherine noticed that Charles had been gone a long time, she rolled over and sighed she was too tired to get up at the moment. One of the servants peeked in and smiled.
"My lady would you like something to eat, we haven't seen his grace since he left."
"He will return. The king would not have summoned him had it not been important."
"We will prepare you a meal and Sharon will be in to help you with your dress my lady."
Katherine nodded and slipped from the bed, she hated to be alone but knew Charles would return when he was able. An emerald green dress was laid out and she was helped into it the bodice laced up and then she sat down in front of the mirror as again her golden circlet was placed on her head and weaved through her her hair, her long jet black locks were braided and let hang down her back.
"Thank you." Katherine said standing.
"My lady his grace has just returned."
Katherine stepped from the bedroom and saw Charles standing there, he looked concerned.
"What's wrong?"
"Our king has a healthy baby boy. But Jane isn't doing well."
"Oh no, poor Henry."
"We will pray for them. He truly loves her."
"He does, he will be devastated if anything happens." Katherine said to him, subconsciously she rubbed her own stomach.
"Is there something you want to tell me?" He asked noticing her movement.
"Oh, that yes."
"What?"
"She is with child father." Edward said  happily from the side room.
"Katherine?"
"Yes. I am with child."
"My love." Charles said pulling her into his arms and kissing her.
"If anything happens to Jane we are to say nothing. Let Henry have his space, I won't allow us to upset him more."
"As you wish." Charles said to her, he kissed her deeply, he turned her around so her back was against him and his hands rested on her belly.
"Do you think it will be a girl father?"
"Maybe who knows we will wait and see. And no stress for you my love."
"I will try. But you do give me allot of excitement my love."
"I try not too." Charles said to her. Katherine raised her arms up and touched his face.
"I love you.
"And I you."