A kingdom in turmoil

The announcement of Queen Jane's death made it through the kingdom. Katherine made her way to the palace to pay her respects. Henry barely acknowledged that she was there, but his oldest daughter Mary knew she was there. Katherine quickly gave the younger woman a hug.
"I am sorry." Katherine whispered.
"Me too, are you going to say anything to him?"
"No, I will let him grieve. The news I have will wait until he is able to handle it."
"What?"
"Come with me." Katherine said taking her aside. Mary looked at her strangely but waited.
"I'm with child."
"Really."
"Has anyone told you how my family knows the king?"
"No."
"My father is your father's cousin."
"Truly?"
"Yes, we are family. And no matter what anyone says, you little cousin are a princess."
"Thank you Katherine."
"Now we must go before we disturb your father."
"Yes we must." Mary said, they both walked from the church. Katherine's heart broke for Henry but she knew he had to deal with this grief on his own. Katherine wanted to help Henry grieve but knew it wasn't her place.
"Are you Duchess of Suffolk?" She heard someone ask. She turned around to face the man that was now standing behind her. Two guards appeared by her side.
"I am, is there something you need?"
"Nothing, have a wonderful day my lady."
Katherine turned and walked with the guards to the waiting carriage. The guards mounted their horses and followed her back to the estate.  Katherine looked around and noticed they had gained a few followers.
"Guard?"
"Yes?"
"We are being followed."
"I saw them. We are almost to the estate they shouldn't follow you there."
"If you feel its safe." Katherine said looking forward again. She heard a noise and turned her head to see one of the guards fall to the ground dead. She turned her head toward the other one, he looked at her and motioned for the carriage driver to speed up. She turned around to look out the back of the carriage to watch the second guard die. They weren't close enough to the estate yet for Charles to see them.
"Don't stop." She shouted at the driver.  Suddenly the carriage came to a stop, she pulled the dagger she recently started keeping hidden in her dress out. She looked as a man approached the carriage and opened the door, he held his hand out to her.
"If you would my lady." He said politely. Katherine took his hand and stepped from the carriage. The driver of the carriage still sat where he was.
"What do you want?" She asked.
"Just to speak to you my lady."
"And killing the guards?"
"They weren't who they said they were. Ask the driver, you weren't heading to your home."
Katherine looked around and realized they weren't near her home.
"What was you needed?"
"Do you trust Cromwell?"
"Not entirely, but I am a woman and most dont listen to me."
"He is the reason you were not going home. He knew if you remained missing while the king was out of sorts he would have control."
"How?"
"He knows your relationship with the king."
"He's my cousin. It's no secret."
"Well Mr. Cromwell is not working on anything the king wants."
"I will tell my husband this, but right now with the king in mourning he will be hard to speak to."
"Let me return you to your home." He offered, he climbed up onto his horse and reached down and lifted her up onto the horse with him. Katherine was still unsure but now she had no choice.
She saw the estate finally come into view and as they rode into the courtyard Charles came from inside and pulled his sword.
"Who the hell are you?" He said helping Katherine down.
"Someone that kept your wife from being killed." Was his answer as he turned and rode from the home.
"What?"
"Seems Mr. Cromwell is over reaching and it was about to cause a problem with me."
"You alright?"
"Yes, I'm fine. We are fine." She answered placing his hand on her stomach.
"I am glad. Did you see Henry?"
"He looked so lost, I spoke to Mary. Even she is lost."
"Yes she had become close to the queen."
"Henry really loved her so much. He gained his son, but lost his wife."
"I know but now we have to keep track of everything. You barely go to court anymore. I know with me being pregnant you would like to be home and what happened with the queen scares you. But you are on the King's council, you have more than just me as an obligation."
"I know. I will go back I promise, I want to give Henry time."
"You're his best friend. He needs you."
"He doesn't want me he doesn't want anyone but her."
"I know, I'll wait a few days and ride to the palace with you."
"Katherine it's going to be more than a few days. Let's see how he does if it takes too long or if Cromwell does something stupid we will deal with it."
True to his word it had been weeks since anyone had seen Henry and Cromwell had called a meeting of the council. Charles was far from happy, and he was not afraid to point it out. And as he turned and left he told him never to call him to another meeting as it was not his job.
Katherine made her way through the halls and looked at the guard near Henry's chambers.
"Is he in there?"
"Yes my lady."
"Is he alone?"
"No my lady."
"Let him know I am coming in."
"Yes my lady." He answered.
"Actually, wait, let him know I was here I will check on him in a few days."
"As you wish my lady."
Katherine turned and headed back to where she knew Charles had been. As she round a corner she came face to face with Thomas Cromwell.
"Mr. Cromwell."
"Lady Brandon."
"I must go." She said, he reached out and grabbed her arm.
"I would remind his grace if he wants his perfect family to remain that way he best not talk to me in the way he did."
"And if you wish to remain in the living you let go of my arm Mr. Cromwell." Katherine said looking st him.
"And?"
"Let go."
"Touch my wife again Cromwell I will kill you where you stand. Come along Katherine." Charles said holding his hand out to her, she took his hand and they walked away.