Chapter 20

Narrator: Amaya Zeus

Chapter 20

I woke up with a sword pointed at my chest. The one holding it was a tanuki girl. She had raccoon ears and tail. It looked like she had been guarding me for a while. The girl then noticed I was awake.

"Master Naofumi, She's awake!" the tanuki yelled.

"Raphtalia, stop yelling, you might get us caught!" a blonde little girl with wings responded.

I knew these two seemed familiar but I just couldn't place it. The two girls argued for a minute until a whistle made them both fall silent.

"We should remove the helmet first, right?" a gruff male voice said.

A man with scruffy black hair and a shield bound on his right arm appeared. The weapon looked like it was melted with his skin. Now, I remembered who he was. It was my old enemy, Naofumi Iwantani, The Shield Hero.

Naofumi was the leader of the resistance and one of four heroes who had been summoned via time travel. The heroes were an attempt to control the populace and give them a distraction. The four men gained stolen weapons from another empire called teigus. The Shield hero would become our scapegoat.

However, things went too well. The three other heroes of the spear, sword, and bow were incompetent. The illusion fell away, the sword and bow hero joined the shield hero's resistance. While the three other heroes fell, The Shield Hero and his army ran us out of the country. Now, I was confronting an earlier version of the monster I had created. I needed to play it cool.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I am the Dread Pirate Roberts," I told him hoping he wouldn't get the reference.

"Remove the mask," he told Raphtalia.

The raccoon girl removed my mask while keeping her sword steady. Normally, I would fight him but I didn't want to ruin the timeline more than I already had. They all gasped at my eyes.

"Isn't that a goddess seal, Master Naofumi!?" Raphtalia said.

"Yeah" he responded.

"What are we gonna do, master?" the winged girl asked.

"We'll decide tomorrow, Filo" Naofumi told her.

"I'll keep watch!" Filo chirped before transforming into a giant white bird monster.

I wasn't surprised by this at all. I knew the Devil of the Shield had a giant bird companion who could disguise herself as a human. Both of these girls were demon subspecies and were more likely to kill me than Naofumi. It was just in their nature as well as mine. They probably had biases as well.

"Sleep well goddess, I'll probably kill you in the morning" The Shield Hero joked.

I really hoped the others would find me in time...or I was mostly dead.