Chapter 2

Words - 1145
———————————————————
You spot several ambulances pulling up on the hospital entrance.
...Fuck...
———————————————————

~~You~~

Your day could not get worse. After a 4 hour long shift, someone just had to get hit by a car. Of course they did. You were nearing your house at this point and it was past 6 in the bloody morning.

Breathing heavily and so tired you could pass out on the street right then and there, you stumbled up to the door of your house. Shuffling through your bag, you groaned as you'd just found, or not found more accurately, that you didn't have your keys. You leaned your head on the door and thought through your next possible choices.

You could call your roommates but one is so lazy they would barely flinch if ww3 was going on outside their door, and the other is extremely over protective and if they found you outside the door at 6 in the morning half dead, they would finish of the half that wasn't with a lecture that could blow an ear off.
You think back to when you met them and almost laughed, though you hadn't wanted to then.
————————flashback———————————
It was a bright summers day and you had been lucky enough to have the morning shift and you were off work by 1 so had the whole rest of the day to mess about in.
That was when the problems started.
You got home to find several holes in your windows and the whole of the small front porch in flames. You had begun to freak out. It couldn't be them could it. No. It couldn't be.
No. It was probably just some monster haters.

The monsters had only been free half a year - prejudice and judgement was high so when a unknown doctor like yourself supported and treated monsters in the clinic like any other...
Well let's just say you were getting nearly as many threats as the monsters were.
You breath slowly to calm yourself. It was just monster haters.

Ok. Your calm now. But that didn't stop the flame to continue to inch near the house.
You quickly dash into the house, avoiding the flames licking the side of building. Priorities. Priorities. What was most important to you?
Valuables and money, you decide quickly. Sprinting to bedroom you grab your stash of cash you have there, ignoring the clothes and everything else. On your way out of the room you notice the flame entering through the door you had left open in your hurry to get into the house.

Shit.

Covering your face  with a cloth you had grabbed on the way through the kitchen. The fire had spread through the hall and into the living room. Running faster then you have ever ran before, you grabbed the stack of photos hiding in the corner of the study.
The 'study' was basically a room you shoved your doctors equipment that you had 'borrowed' from the hospital in case of emergency.

You grabbed your 'on the go' stuff and ran back to the hall way. It was blocked by a wall of very hot and very angry fire. Looking around,you see your window that you like to star gaze out of.

It was literally your last option.

Throwing a painting you had on the wall at the window, you watched it shatter before leaping through your self.
Your back slammed on the concrete sidewalk and you gasped from the impact.
Your eyes were closed in relief. You had got the money, you had got the expensive emergency equipment that would cost you most of your money to repay, and you had got the pictures.
...The pictures.

You let out a relieved sigh but stopped when you heard a fire truck and it's siren coming closer. When you heard that you snapped back to the reality, which it seemed you had temporarily left. Your senses hit you like a gun.

The blackness of your closed eyelids. The smell of burning wood. The feeling of the cold concrete ground on your slowly bleeding back. And the noise of people screaming, crowding, shouting.

You felt someone shake your shoulder.
You slowly opened your eyes to see a white face with pinprick eyes. It was a skeleton. It saw you stare at it and pulled the hood of its blue jumper quickly over its face.
It was scared. You could tell straight away. After several years interacting with people in stress filled situations, you had learned how to read people and the best thing to do to calm them down.

You smiled. It looked at you completely confused as you struggled to get up. Suddenly it's pinprick eyes vanished. Completely vanished. As it spotted a figure behind you. The look on his face made your insides freeze.
You quickly turned around to face the figure.
It was a human police man holding his gun up, and it was pointing straight at the skeleton.

"Excuse me, what are you doing to this young lady?"

Venom laced the mans tone as he stared at the skeleton. You almost laughed. This man was standing next to a burning building, in the middle of a perfectly ordinary street, with panic everywhere and sirens ringing, and that's what he asks.

"Excuse me, what are you doing to this young couple?"

Both of them stared at you. You were half sitting up with so much blood pouring from your back it looked like you were about to die, yet you were just looking at this police officer like it was a normal Saturday.

"You're...with this...thing?"

You tilt your head like it was the most bizarre question, completely ignoring the look of stunned surprise that was obvious on the skeletons face.

"I don't know what you mean by thing. But I think you find we are" I pause and gestured to the still burning building, which was now being tended to by firemen, "a match made in heaven."

Silence as you grinned at your pun. Suddenly, the skeleton snorted and face palmed.
"Seriously mate. A fire pun. As your house is burning down?"
It was a male and had the smoothest voice you had ever heard.
You shrugged "if not now, then when."
The police man stared at you in disbelief, before just walking away. You grinned.
"Plus it got rid of him."
You carefully stood up, being cautious not to cause any more damage to your back.
You put out your hand to the skeleton.
"Hi, I'm (y/n), a 23 year old doctor, who is currently down one house and belongings. What's your name?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello again.👋
Nice to see ya. Hope you liked the chapter. Tell me if it's too long or boring. That's the kinda stuff I'd like to know.
Hope your days great and you stick around for some more.
*BrightLadyStarlight*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~