『ᴄᴜᴛᴇ: ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2』

"Hanako-kun, do you believe that the Kuchisake-onna exists?" Yashiro asked as she wiped the bathroom floor with the old mop, curiosity filling her veins to the brim. Despite the unusual question from Yashiro, Hanako's amber orbs stared into her's as he floated in the restroom.

"If I exist, who is there to say she doesn't?" He smiles gently before ordering her to continue cleaning his sacred place. He fiddled with his strands of hair while watching the young girl wipe the mirrors.

Despite being one of the Seven Mysteries, he has never seen the ghostly woman before. Was this because he was never summoned? Or did she exist somewhere else? If so, where would she be? Hanako mindlessly floated around the bathroom, he could have sworn that he saw someone or something in the corridor, but he can't be certain of it. It had a mysterious presence almost unrecognizable to him. Is it because he has never met the Kuchisake-Onna to even know what her aura is? This makes him feel even more curious than before.

"Oh! Hanako-kun, I have to check on the garden! The other girls from the Gardening club said they were too busy studying in order to check on the flowers." Yashiro quickly cleaned up her supplies and left them neatly on the side, "Don't worry I just finished everything while you were spacing out." Her gentle smile lit up the newly cleaned bathroom and she skipped towards the garden.

Yashiro watered each flower while humming a small tune, repeating the rhythm over and over again. It was a soft and gentle rhythm that she had gained ever since she started as a member of the Gardening Club. Over time, she had started to sing parts of the song that she often hummed. Yashiro often forgot about the origin of this song, it just came to her as she touches the camellias that the school grew. Somewhere in her mind, she thought she heard the song before.

"You have worked hard. . . That's enough. . . Let's forget everything now." She whispered.

" If ever there was something that was wrong. . . You'll probably say 'It was probably my fault'" She reached out towards the flower and tickled it's petals lightly to not damage such beauties. Her radish colored hair brushed against her as she stared deep into the flower's core. ". . . And blame yourself. But we can't go back. . . "

"They're certainly beautiful aren't they?" Hanako suddenly spoke up behind her, scaring the poor girl and having her instinctively throwing the water can towards him. She squeaked as both of them watch the water can spray across the dirt and disappeared into the dark corridor. "That was a nice song you got there, mind singing it to me again?" He grinned.

"Hanako-kun! Look at what you made me do!" She pushed him away from her as she quickly stood up and brushed the dust off of her. "You shouldn't be scaring me like that. . . "

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself." He snickered and they both made their way into the corridor, unbeknownst to the person they unintentionally woke. Yashiro complained to Hanako about his intentions and teasing, choosing to puff out her cheeks in annoyance, only further emphasizing her cute appearance. As she got closer, the wind started to blow aggressively and she held onto Hanako. The boy continued to tease her even further by commenting on how she's afraid of the breeze.

"Hey, Yashiro. . . Do you remember the legend of the Kuchisake-onna?" He grinned and tugged on her hand.

"What's with you and everyone bringing it up now. . . ? Also, are you just saying this because we're going into some suspicious hall?!"

"Not really. . . Who knows. . . I might kabedon you like this." Yashiro gasped, yelping and telling him to slow down and wait, but the sound of footsteps broke them out of their shared trance.

The white kimono, the same fabric that Hanako saw the other day crept on the two from the darkness. Her (s/c) skin contrasting the colors of the corridor and reaching for her face. Her hair swept across the floor and she peered at them with her lifeless (e/c) eyes.

"Am I beautiful. . . ?" The mysterious ghost tightened her grip on the golden scissors, the sacred property shining brightly with it's embellished jewels and floral decorations. Yashiro almost felt her soul left her body as she stared at her, 'this is the Kuchisake-Onna!' She trembled as Hanako drew an arm in front of her, guarding her and watching the figure continue to walk towards them.

"I asked you a question. . . Am I beautiful?" Yashiro's eyes widened as the spirit revealed herself completely. She was shorter than her?! Not to mention cute? Did Yashiro hear that right? She was cute? Her big eyes looked like a doll's, but they held some sort of light within them that made them undeniably cute. How come she was so much shorter than her? Not to mention why are her ankles and body so perfect?! She had some smooth looking legs that were left exposed, but she was covered in such traditional clothing! . . . Although her appearance and age look different. . . she had her left hand holding a fan to the lower half of her face, covering the legendary slit mouth.

"Cute?" The spirit could feel her brain drift off and her face getting hotter, "I'm cute. . . ?"

Yashiro profusely sweated as she quickly nodded her head, did she really say that out loud?! The girl must think she's totally weird then! While Yashiro internally panicked about her stupidity and mouth, Hanako stepped forward to the mysterious girl. However, instead of attacking them or revealing her mouth like the legend depicted. . . Did she look shy? Both of her cheeks were cradled by her hands as she whispered to herself about someone called her cute. Hanako did not expect this from such an old legend.

"Someone called me cute! No one has ever said that before. . . " She gushed over that idea but flinched, "What does that mean?!"

Yashiro stared at her in shock. . . Are all spirits different from their rumors?!