Twenty-seven

Seung-hyun was glad that he had bought the house. The extra room on the third floor was finally useful.

After spending the entire afternoon searching and buying several items for Hee Soo, Seung-hyun went straight upstairs without Jung Hye and Hee Soo knowing.

He began cleaning the room, opening the balcony door to let the fresh cold air to come in. Seung-hyun was too occupied sticking the glow in dark stars on the ceiling when Jung Hye came in, looking surprised. She was holding a bat.

"What are you doing?" She asked, staring at him.

"A surprise for Hee Soo," he replied, beaming,"What is that bat for?"

"I thought you were a thief for fuck sake!" She said quickly, "I didn't know you're already home. Heard a thump."

"Hence, the bat," he added, "Where's Hee Soo?"

"Asleep," she replied, "You need help?"

"No, it's okay. I can do this," Seung-hyun said without looking at her, "Just make sure Hee Soo doesn't know anything. Don't tell him just yet."

Jung Hye nodded, "Okay."

"I'll let you know when it's ready," he said again.

Jung Hye left the room.

He spent the next few hours in the room, preparing for a perfect picnic and camping spot. A tent for three was setup up at the corner of the room. A small table with portable heater underneath was set in the middle of the room as campfire.

A small stove, three pairs of cluteries for their small BBQ later on. He disabled the smoke detector temporarily and by the time he was done, it was already dark outside and the glow in dark stars on the ceiling glowed perfectly, just like he wanted.

Hee Soo was awake, thankfully. He was watching the television by the time he climbed down the stairs and Jung Hye was in the kitchen, preparing some food for their camping trip.

"Hey, buddy," Seung-hyun greeted Hee Soo, "Want to go somewhere cool?"

Hee Soo beamed, "Cool?"

"How about we go camping tonight?" Seung-hyun asked.

Hee Soo smiled brightly, "Oh wow! Can we go, mom? Please?"

"Hmm," Jung Hye pretending to considering her son's request, "Well, you ate your medicine, and you ate your greens. I see why not?"

Hee Soo jumped to his feet, delighted, "Yay!"

Seung-hyun chuckled at his cute enthusiasm, and said, "Okay, but you must close your eyes."

Hee Soo closed his eyes without asking why, "I love surprises."

"You'll love this even more later on," Seung-hyun said, carrying Hee Soo in his arms, "No peeking."

Hee Soo nodded, still smiling brightly.

Jung Hye tailed them from behind, bringing some food in a picnic basket and Seung-hyun entered the room, still carrying Hee Soo in his arms.

"Can I open my eyes now?" Hee Soo asked, looking excited.

"Yes, you may," Seung-hyun replied.

Hee Soo was in awed. His expression was priceless. He looked up the ceiling and smiled brightly, as happy as he could be when he saw the stars on the ceiling. The dim light from the camping light next to the tent was perfect.

"Wah," Hee Soo said in awed, looking up, "Look! There's a shooting star!"

"Really?" Seung-hyun asked, playing along, pretending to look for it, "Oh! Should we make a wish?"

Hee Soo placed his hands together, closing his eyes quickly, concentrating hard.

"What did you wish for?" Seung-hyun asked after awhile, sat him down.

Shaking his head, Hee Soo remained quiet, adamant not telling him about his wish.

Seung-hyun began grilling some meat on the portable stove and the room was filled with the delicious smell of grilled meat. Hee Soo looked happy and his appetite was good too.

Seung-hyun was proud of himself, for being able to pull this idea out for him. That was the least he could do for Hee Soo. Jung Hye caught him staring at Hee Soo adoringly and he looked away.

After their meal, Seung-hyun spread out a thick furry carpet in the middle and both him and Hee Soo pretended to be laying on a grass field as the watch the stars.

"This is the best camping ever," Hee Soo said, smiling brightly, "Thank you."

"I'm glad that you like it," Seung-hyun replied.

"Can I come up here sometimes?" He asked.

"Of course," Seung-hyun said, "You can come up here anytime you want."

"Thank you," Hee Soo said again, hugging him tight before letting go.

Pointing at the largest star on the ceiling, Hee Soo said, "That's my dad. He said to me, if I miss him, just look for the biggest and brightest star because that's him. He'll always be watching over me."

Seung-hyun was crest fallen but he knew what was coming. No matter what he did, he could never replaced Hee Soo's father. He was only his biological father after all. Hee Soo's father was the one who had been there and raised him.