CH.7: OH HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED

Chapter 7:
Oh how the tables have turned.
Florence P.O.V.

After over a year with the Dark Fey, I knew how they behaved, how they interacted with each other, how they all got along, and how they followed tradition. And because of their ways, I am now tied to a Desert Fey to whom I have strong feelings for.

Within a matter of weeks, Borra had convinced some of the Elder Dark Fey to create dresses for me to make me more comfortable. He even snuck out to steal gowns from a nearby town, insisting that he only did it because he saw how uncomfortable I felt in the Fey cloths I was given. Borra insisted that I stay in a nest built on the Desert grounds, saying that if I were to go above with the Tundra or Jungle, I would fall and hurt myself, and since the Desert ground is the first layer of their home, I wouldn't risk falling to my death. He helped build my own nest, and as the winter months passed by, he would sneak into my nest and wrap his wings around me so I would not be cold. He showed me his most vulnerable sides, but just like when morning would approach, he would be back to praising war with the humans and back to not showing such affection in the eyes of the other Fey.

"I'm in love with Borra."

"Oh, uhm, that was out of nowhere," Ini expressed as I got ready in one of my finer gowns. It's red with white around the neckline, and I put my hair up in a bun while Ini did my corset.

"I know that you have always suspected it," I added.

"Of course I have - all of the Fey have! We can see your moments with each other, especially at the Bonfires. He can never take his eyes off of you," Ini giggled.

"But. . .does he love me? I know that maybe he feels something for me, or perhaps it is just the Mark that connects us," My fingers brushed against my healed Mark, and Ini sighed.

"My brother has always been weary of showing his affection ever since we came here," I turned to her when she finished the last part of my corset, and held her hands in mine as I looked up at her with a pleading look in my eyes.

"But why? Please, I need to know."

"Florence, I-"

"I don't want to live constantly guessing his feelings for me, and if I can confront him and help him, then I will," She let out a shaky breath before letting out a small "okay".

"My parents were long dead before Borra arrived. Human poachers got to them while I slept, and took them apart to sell. They threw me in an iron cage and poked at me as I thrashed around, so scared and so desperate to survive. Then, Borra and the few members of his clan arrived just in time to save me, but it was not the Borra I grew up with. He was covered in blood, from his claws to his face, he looked blank and void of emotion. It was like the devil finally got to him, finally letting his rage rip through the poachers as he mercilessly tore through their fragile flesh. It. . .I couldn't look away. He. . ." She breathed out.

"He enjoyed it," I realized.

"It took him years to finally tell me why he looked so void that day. His parents wanted him spared, wanted him to live on. The poachers made a deal that day: spare Borra, but make him watch as they tortured and pelted them. He described it as a butcher cutting up a pig, just relentless and tireless as their flesh was cut open from every angle possible," I had to sit down as all of this information began to rest upon my shoulders.

Borra was spared and was able to make it here to try and live on, but it came at a grave consequence. I never saw the murder of my parents, only awoke to their screams, but I know that if I had to watch as my parents were cut down, I would never be the same.

I wouldn't be the same little girl that they raised.

"That is why he holds a boundary with me. . .it is the fear of losing me," I looked up at Ini.

"Borra loves you, Florence. I see it in his eyes, in the way he holds you and in the way he makes sure that you're always well taken care of. And you can help him push past this barrier he's built, but remember that he needs to want to do it. He has to help himself just as much as you do," I nodded and stood up, brushing my dress off and turning to my best friend.

"Take me to the gathering."

______________________

"You reek of human."

The gathering was far into Borras' speech, and by the time I had arrived, I witnessed Borra being blasted across the room and his wings making a sickening crack as he hit the wall.

"Borra!"

I ran to him and immediately bent down to help him up, and he looked up at me with shock in his eyes.

"Florence, what are you-?"

"I heard you. All of it. You may think that I cannot go back and rule my people, but I know that I can. And I will-"

"No. . .this cannot be. . ." I looked up to see the woman who raised me since I was crowned Queen of England. The woman who radiated power, but refused to ever use it on me and influence the most powerful woman in the world.

The one I called mother.

"Maleficent?"