17

The days carried on as normal. Nothing to crazy happened. But Coach just had to stir the pot, insisting the baseball team get a personal cheer squad. Why did we need that? Why did we need our own? What was wrong with the school's cheer team that cheered for everyone else? Why did Coach insist on surrounding me with even more attractive people?
Among all things Coach insisted, he insisted I be in charge of try outs...like I had any qualifications to do so.

I was excused from my last 3 classes of the day to do this oddly taxing job. I didnt know what I was doing, what I was looking for...all i knew was i was gonna be surrounded by cute girls and was not emotionally prepared for it.

I sat in the gym, in front of a table and one by one cute girls in anime girl-esque gym uniforms walked in front of me and cheered. "Whatre you looking for?" One girl randomly asked me. "Move me the way Train to Busan moved me." I joked. She looked at me like I was crazy. "She is not on the squad." I made a note to myself.

I ultimately based my decision on who hadn't slept with my brother and who fooled me into thinking they weren't dead inside then rather selfishly and objectively arranged them from cutest to least cutest even though they were all super cute...ugh I love girls.

I took my list to Coach at the start of practice and he seemed confused. "Well who made it?" "I have the list." "Heeji... you didnt take anyone off." "I ranked them. How many people do we need?" "I'd say 5 or 6." "Well there you go... number 1 through 5 or 6." "They were all qualified though?" "Yes Coach. They were all super cute and full of pep." "Being cute is all you cared about wasn't it?" "Let me be a little gay geez."

Practice ensued as normal but practice the next day...
Our new cheersquad was called to the field for us to meet. "Heeji, you must have a type." Gyujung whispered to me as the girls entered the field. "And what would my type be?" "Bad bitches." Jarv said confidently.
"Jarvis!" Coach scowled.
They stayed in the dugout with me during practice while I looked over some notes Coach left for me while working on our roster for the next game. I tried to at least. While trying to do my job, our new teammates were doing theirs, this disrupting mine. I got up and suggested to Coach that if they're gonna practice cheering, they should practice where they're gonna be doing it, in the stands, not in my ear. "Why dont you try bonding." Coach suggested to me before asking the girls to be quiet while I work. "Heeji, are you always such a busy body?" One asked me, giggling. I believe her name was Hannah. "Yes." I mumbled, stuffing myself into the corner of the dugout. "You're Jay's little sister right?" "Yes." I scratched out some of Coach's notes that didnt make much sense. "Thank you for picking us." "No problem." I answered dryly. "Heeji." Coach snapped, beckoning me over. I walked over to him with my clipboard. "I suggest you lighten up a bit before I make you run laps again. "Okay." I groaned, dragging my feet back to the corner of the dugout." "So Heeji, do you have a boyfriend?" "Not while Jay is around." "Awe, he's protective. I love that in a guy." Maybe I should have expressed more clearly that I didnt want people interested in my brother on the team. "Yeah everyone on the team is pretty protective. Don't let the tough exteriors fool you. They're a bunch of softies."
"Is it true Jewook got into a fight over you?" "He got into a fight because of me." "That's kind of romantic." "Hi ladies." Chase broke up the conversation, saving me from considering a crush on Jewook. "I'm Chase, vice captain, if you ever need anything just let me know." Chase winked earning a small smile from each of our cheerleaders.
"Heeji can I borrow you for one minute?" Chase asked of me. I followed to the sidelines of the field. "Two things... 1, can you have Solomon bat clean up at our next game? My shoulder has been giving me some problems and I dont think I can handle it right now." "I'll run that by Coach but it should be fine." "Great now number 2... you and Jay have the exact same type." "We do not." "He likes bad bitches and I'm not dumb. I know you picked them off of their looks and guess what... they're all bad bitches." "I feel attacked." "And so do I. They are all stunning." Chase swooned, waving to them. "Is that it?" "I felt like you needed to know that." "Okay Chase." I sighed, returning to my corner once again. Looking at all of them from a not so thirsty perspective, I felt ugly in comparison. I wanted to be them. It was almost like I was broadcasting my insecurities by picking girls who were the opposite of what I disliked about myself. Tall, hourglass frame, well done hair, phenomenal makeup skills, cute laughs. I felt kinda shitty about myself then remembered they were hot and I was bisexual and there was a chance at least one of them was into girls too. Statistically speaking, one in three people are gay and there were 6 of them so I felt good about my odds.