CHP.16 Scars

Serenity followed behind me as I walked towards Zeke's house. The two warriors who had previously been guarding the dungeon had followed behind her. While they were obviously instructed by Zeke to do so for her safety, her increased heart rate indicated their actions held the opposite effect.

But she made no move to complain, no move to run. Instead, she obediently tracked behind myself and Zeke. We were quick to walk into the house, luckily coming across no other wolves except two warriors that guarded the front door to the house. Whether the wolves in the area had been evacuated I did not know. But my intuition told me they had been.

As we strolled onto the steps of the house Serenity froze. Her heartbeat increasing again dramatically. I turned to face her. She seemed paralyzed in fright, her large brown eyes appeared empty, as if she had travelled back into a memory and was no longer in the present. My heart ached at the thought of the possible trauma she must have experienced. I quietly approached her.

"Serenity," I felt as though I was speaking to a spooked kitten, trying to keep my voice soothing and calm as I reached my hand out to gently touch her petite wrist. Immediately she was drawn from her trance, her eyes filled with fear as she pulled her wrist from mine. Almost as if she didn't recognise who I was.

Her cheeks flushed as she came to realise the situation before she cleared her throat as if to dismiss the event that had just occurred.

"Serenity, do you want to come inside? This is where I live, you will be safe." The thought of another male wolf causing her harm had my vision going red. My wolf growled in the back of my mind at the image of Serenity being abused.

Serenity nodded.

I turned back to the house to find Zeke waiting emotionlessly. He seemed uncomfortable with me bringing a random she-wolf into our house. But he knew my instincts were to care for her. And he knew to refuse me would be to cause a problem. I nodded at him, projecting reassurance through my wolf to his. He turned and continued into the house.

He guided us into a spare bedroom that I had yet to go in. It was simply decorated yet still spacious. I turned to Serenity,

"There is a bathroom with utensils in there, clean up. I'll bring you some spare clothes." Serenity nodded and went into the bathroom. The lock clicked.

Zeke and I travelled back into our bedroom before he spoke.

"I don't like this Cecil." His eyebrows ceased as he spoke.

"Why not? She's obviously experienced pain and we have the resources to help her." I replied.

"It's too strange, too co-incidental, you show up and a mere weeks later a random she-wolf walks into our territory? It's just," he sighed, "its just too convenient." He sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing the side his temples.

"What you think I was planted? You think she was planted?" I scoffed out.

"No I caught you, you tried so hard so damn hard to escape I know you were an accident but her? She just happens to walk in without a fight? A female wolf hadn't been seen in a few years and all of a sudden there's two in my pack? Something's off, maybe someone is trying to coerce other packs into revolting against mine I-. I don't know what to make of it." Zeke's eyes pleaded with mine for understanding. He was right, it was almost too coincidental. I walked over to him placing my hands on his cheeks, holding his head gently.

"You're right. We can't just accept her but I will not be turning her away."

Zeke knew I wouldn't relent. He sighed and nodded.

"She must face the council." He muttered. I nodded.

"Perhaps speaking to the oracle will help." I offered, trying to find him some form of reassurance.