Nine - The First Party Part 2

"Waverly are you drunk?" I hardly notice that Owen is next to us as I struggle to tear my eyes away from the scene of happiness in front of me.

I have stopped dancing, feeling unable to move, but the party rages on around me as the scene turns into blurred swirls and flashes of colours.

"Look a-after her for a moment." I instruct Owen as Waverly glares at him (looking adorable). "I need some air." I shout in his ear before turning and fleeing, feeling sick.

'Stop it Nell! He was never yours to lose!' I shout at myself in my head as I push through the surging crowds receiving many dirty looks, feeling my tears threatening to boil over. In a dazed panic, I look for somewhere to escape, not risking the bathrooms but rushing out to the balcony once I notice it. As I fling the doors open the cold air hits me like a dream, but the music is still excessively loud so my headache hasn't eased at all.

"Oh, sorry." I exclaim as I notice a couple heavily making out in the corner, with hands in places they really shouldn't be in public.

They stop their passionate lip-lock and turn to look at me in annoyance, whilst I stand there awkwardly as the door clicks close behind us.

"Whatever, let's go find somewhere more private babe." The girl sighs, grabbing onto her mans hand and bumping into me as she storms past, the poor guy still trying to adjust his pants.

I sigh and try to fight the tears as the doors once again slam shut behind me. Goosebumps rise on my arms as a rush of wind drifts past me and I look up at the great full moon, which is an ethereal silver in the sky. With shaky hands I lean onto the railings, images of Zander and Viv assaulting my mind. I grip onto the railing to try to ground me, the alcohol making my head feel dizzy, and a couple of tears drip down my cheeks as my heart continues to crack. Why am I in love with him? If only I could just forget him...

Suddenly I hear the balcony door creak open from behind me, thrown open and hitting the rusty barbecue to the side, causing me to still and hurriedly wipe my tears away. In any cliché, teen romance novel it would be Zander, but I'm not that lucky.

"Hey babe, what you doing out here all alone?" A concerned deep voice asks.

Who knows, maybe he will be my Prince Charming and wash away all the pain Zander has unknowingly inflicted on my heart. But after composing myself, I spin round to see my brother's friend Sheub. Great, so much for a Prince Charming.

"Oh... Hi Sheub. Just... getting some air." I sigh as I lean back against the railing.

"Are you ok?" He asks as he scratches the back of his neck, looking kind of cute in the dim lighting.

"Oh yes fine." I nod enthusiastically as I give him a fake smile.

"No you're not. Listen, I don't know what jackass broke your heart, but I can make you forget him babe." He smiles suggestively as he stumbles closer, the glazed-over drunk look in his eyes looking significantly less cute.

"Oh no I'm fine... Hey please stop back." I ask as he cages me in with his arms, making me feel claustrophobic and causing panic to flurry through my stomach.

He ignores my request and leans in further so that our chests are touching, and even when I push him, he doesn't give me space.

"Hey calm down babe, we're just having fun." He chuckles but I feel sick as he leans in and tries to kiss me.

"No... I don't want this. My brother's wouldn't like this!" I exclaim as I lean my head back as far as I can, my voice sounding high and squeaky like a scared child's.

"I don't see your brother's babe; it's just you and me. I know you want me." He boasts as he presses his body harshly against mine, causing the railing to dig into my back.