Twenty-One - Changed

I know I am a terrible person but it isn't going to affect my decision. I'm losing Zander... and fast. I have to go to Viv's party tonight, I just have to! It may be my last chance to persuade him that I am the one he wants, and our love will be worth all of the trials. I have pulled out half my wardrobe trying to find a suitably hot dress to outshine Viv, but nothing is sexy enough. If I'm serious about this, I really need to pull out all the stops and make myself irresistible.

"Woah, it looks like a bomb has gone off in here! What are you looking for an outfit for?" Waverly asks with a puzzled expression. "Just jeans and a nice top will do for the city."

"Oh I'm sorry Waverly... but I have actually decided to go to Viv's party – this may be my last chance to win Zander! I'm looking for an outfit that will make me look really hot." I reveal as I dig through the intrusion of clothes on my fluffy carpet.

I seriously have nothing to wear!

"What about going to the museums and spending a little time together?" Waverly asks, sounding a little hurt.

"I'm so sorry Waverley we will do it, it's just that this is really important to me. You are welcome to come though." I stress with a sheepish smile.

"And going to the museums and spending time together is important to me! You know ever since we started college it's like you're a different person. We hardly spend any time together and you don't care about me and what I want to do. You are constantly blowing me off, and for what? To make Zander jealous? Newsflash, he has a girlfriend Chanel!" Waverly snaps.

"I'm sorry Waverly but I think you're totally overreacting! You know how important Zander is to me, I love him and I can't just roll over and let him be with someone who is obviously a horrible match for him!" I exclaim as I stand up, matching Waverly's glare.

"Whatever Nell, you're just being blind to the truth! If he wanted you, you would be together right now! But go do whatever you want; I'm going out with my friends Nina and River instead!" She exclaims heatedly, her emerald eyes darkening as they always do when she is upset.

"Go ahead I don't care!" I shout as she rolls her eyes and storms out.

I jump as the door slams with force, and my head feels dizzy as I try to comprehend what just happened. Waverly and I fought. We're not friends right now. What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I keep making stupid mistakes and decisions? I can't help but feel like my life is falling apart. I hear another slam echo through the lonely apartment showing that Waverly has left. With a sigh, I continue to get ready, knowing that it will all be worth it if I can claim Zander's love tonight. This is my last chance.

***

Later on that evening, I am just arriving with Rylan to the party. I'm instantly hit with the overpoweringly loud music and a loud haze of chatter and sweaty bodies. I'm really not feeling it tonight. It seems like the whole college has turned up for this wild party, as everywhere I turn there are clusters of people drinking, snogging, laughing and being generally disorderly. My head thumps and my feet are dying to turn and rush out back into the cold air, but Rylan is already pulling me forward into the (usually) spacious apartment.

I immediately feel uncomfortable as people's eyes crawl all over my exposed skin, and I tug the ridiculously small skirt a little further down my thighs. I am ashamed to admit I am dressed like a slut in one of Roxanne's mini dresses, which is skin-tight, snake print and dips tauntingly low at the top and climbs shockingly high at the bottom. Why did I think this is a good idea? I don't feel comfortable at all! I never would've worn this two months ago...

"Do you want a drink Nell?" Rylan whispers into my ear as one hand rests just above my bum and the other squeezes my arm.

He can't keep his hands off me in this outfit. I don't miss how his eyes are constantly travelling over my exhibited form.