Twenty-Four - Kitchen Make Out

Productive is one word to describe the past week I've had. I have been so busy I have had barely any time to think about Zander. Of course that is a complete lie, as the thought of him is always hovering in the back of my mind like a ghost of despair. But I have been trying to focus on my studies and spending time with Waverly instead.

I have met her friends Nina, who is a voluptuous ginger, and River, who has a straight black bob with a thick fringe framing her cat-like grey eyes. They are both nice girls, and Nina is very talkative and friendly (I feel like I know her whole life story just from one two hour meeting), and River took a little longer to open up, but is very intelligent and studious. Waverly and I have been sitting with them at lunch as I am staying away from Zander.

He has actually called me a few times, and I have received various text messages asking me to meet with him, but I have steadfastly ignored all of his attempts of contact. Waverly opened the door to him on Tuesday, and luckily, I was working. I cannot face him and I do not want to know what he wants to tell me. Just the thought of him makes my heart throb, and I need to heal.

I don't know how I will ever stop loving him, although I have accepted that he doesn't want me, meaning we are simply not meant to be.

It is Friday night, and I have come out for dinner with Waverly, Nina and River. We decided to just go for a Nando's before going to see a chic flick at our local cinema, which is actually a converted theatre, so it has beautifully painted high ceilings.

"Did you hear that apparently Zander and Viv have broken up?" Nina comments as she digs into her chicken, making me tense.

I have heard rumours, but I am trying not to read into it – it doesn't meant anything. They might still be together, and it doesn't automatically mean that Zander broke up with her for me, however much I wish that was true.

"No, and frankly I don't care, it's just meaningless gossip." River shrugs as she finishes her wrap.

One thing for sure is she is very different to a typical girl, hating gossip, and not actually an emo but that way inclined with her thick black eyeliner and punk rock outfit.

"True, but I thought they were cute together." Nina comments making me roll my eyes at my meal.

They are about as cute as a filled diaper.

Waverly reaches under the table to give my hand a comforting squeeze, as I focus on swallowing my tender chicken. I don't want to think about them together, but every waking moment is a painful reminder that I am not his.

We spend another twenty minutes in the restaurant talking about other random things before we ask for the bill, when suddenly I feel my phone vibrating in my jean pocket. Not wanting to be rude but curious as to who it is, I reach for my phone and read the message under the table, as River animatedly talks about perfect numbers, and how there are only three under ten thousand or something. Surprisingly the message is from Owen, asking if Waverly and I want to spend time with him, Isaac and a few others this evening.

"So can you tell me what the first perfect number is Nell?" River asks as if she is my teacher.

"Erm... two?" I guess, looking up from my phone to meet her disapproving frown.

"Nope. It's six, as its three integers add up to equal six." She corrects me, and I nod unsurely in response, wondering what an integer is. "What happened? Why are you on your phone?" She asks.

"Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, but I just got a message from my brother asking if I will go over to his tonight, but obviously I'll cancel as I'm with you guys." I explain.