Sixteen - First Date

My third week at college has come to an end, and it has been mostly uneventful. Zander has been avoiding me, which is fine by me considering I am avoiding him too. I just can't believe he actually kissed Viv. It makes me wonder what else they might have done which really makes me want to chuck-up and bang my head against the wall. Or Viv's.

Our group date has been arranged for tonight, after I finish work at seven. I am so nervous for what it will bring. I am just hoping that Zander and Viv aren't going to be too lovey-dovey. My heart and stomach won't take it, and I am planning to enjoy the meal considering I am paying for Rylan and me. I spent some of my precious coins on a new dress for tonight, which has the right mix of sexy yet sweet.

Zander texted me the details yesterday – we are going to a fancy five star restaurant in town. It is more of a third-date-this-is-going-well type of restaurant if you ask me. By text, I mean he literally just sent me the address, so I made sure to let him know how excited I am to be going on my first date with Rylan. He left me on read, not rising to the bait unfortunately.

Last night Roxie came over for dinner as Sofia had male company, so I told her about my arrangement with her brother – reluctantly revealing my feelings for Zander. She has obviously heard and seen a few things considering we are acting like a couple in the honeymoon period, so it is only fair that we let her in on it. Roxie simply laughed and said she doesn't care if I end up sleeping with Rylan, as long as I don't give her any dirty details. As if I would talk about that with her! She is seriously underestimating my awkwardness. Roxie invited me to go clubbing with her tomorrow, but I already have plans to spend the day with Waverly visiting a few art museums she really wants to go to.

Throughout my whole work shift, I am a nervous wreck, anxiously waiting for the moment the clock drags around to seven. When it finally happens, I have embarrassingly messed the orders up more then once and I no longer have any nails, as I unconsciously nibbled them off in my anxiety. I hurry into the staff loos and change into my tight black mini dress with lace detailing along the hem. I hastily apply some red lipstick to match my bright coat and touch up my makeup before switching my old sneakers for strappy heels. I take an appreciative glance at my appearance in the old slightly inverted mirror, before John bangs on the door for the third time so I let myself out. His face is priceless as he takes in my long milky legs and curves on display, but I don't give him the chance to get flustered as I rush by him, already seven minutes late for Rylan who is a timing freak. Amanda gives me a judgemental look as I stride past her, flippantly calling out 'bye'. I wouldn't be surprised if she told me she wanted to be a nun. If my skirt is above the knee or I have a cropped shirt on, I can always feel her disapproving gaze on me. She may as well call out 'whore' every time I walk by; it wouldn't be any more obvious.

As I step outside, I shiver in my thin dress, regretting my tendency to dress for style instead of practicality. The once salmon and purple sky has transformed into a vast expanse of jet-black that engulfs the town, and a canopy of luminous stars materialises amongst the ocean of blackness. Some are dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there is an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark, moonless night. We are certainly heading towards winter now. Rylan is leaning against the shop window with his hands deep in his pockets and one foot crossed over the other. He looks really good in slacks and a shirt, with a long black coat thrown over his shoulders.

"Oh there you are, I was wondering how much longer I was going to have to wait." He teases me.

"Sorry Rylan I was just getting changed." I explain as I dawdle over towards him and he stands up straight.

His bronze skin glows under the yellow streetlamp and his brown eyes appear more vivid, like droplets of honey. He is certainly handsome, and his easy grin makes him all the more appealing and charming. I wonder how Zander will look tonight.