Chapter 17

Izuku's POV~

I was admiring my new scars, only a little upset that I now had them. They looked so cool! And they kind of went with my own quirk. They would probably look even cooler with my quirk activated.

"Of course that's your reaction." Kacchan muttered.

I finally tore my gaze away from my arms and looked at my two boyfriends. I sheepishly smiled at them, a little embarrassed that I didn't mind the scars as much as someone else might have.

"Do you even care that he almost fucking killed you?" He asked me. He wasn't mad at me, or even mad in general, it just sounded like he was genuinely curious.

"Of course I care, Kacchan! I just know there's nothing I can do to go back and change it, so what's the point of being bitter about something that was an accident?" I responded.

Both of the boys seemed a little shocked at my explanation for my mood. "How are you such an angel all the time?" Shoto asked me in awe.

I blushed at his comment, and then remembered that Recovery Girl was still in the room. "Sho- Todoroki!" I whisper-yelled.

He was confused for a second, but then realized why I had said his last name. "Izu, it's fine. The whole class kind of found out after we rushed you down here and then Katsuki rearranged Kaminari's face." Shoto said with a snort.

Kacchan smack Shoto's arm as my eyes widened. "What?!" I shouted, but lowered my voice from the look Recovery Girl sent me.

"What'd you do?" I asked him angrily. Kacchan looked terrified, and all humor was gone from Shoto's face. They both knew that I was serious.

Kacchan cleared his throat and dropped his emotions, becoming just as stone faced as Shoto usually is. "I punched him until I was pulled off." He said casually.

I gaped at him. How could he think that was okay? "Why on Earth would you do that?!" I asked him, my voice raising a little bit, but Recovery Girl had left the room. On her own accord or because of us, I wasn't sure.

"He nearly killed you! I'm sorry if some of us actually care about your life." Kacchan said back, getting angry now, which only made me more upset. He couldn't just beat up our classmates because of sparing!

"Kacchan, it was sparring! Of course I was going to get hurt. Besides, Kaminari didn't mean to do it, he didn't deserve to have you beat the day lights out of him!" I said back, as I sat up in the bed. My body was stiff and heavy, but I managed to right myself with minimal signs of weakness. The last thing I wanted right then, was for him to give up the conversation or fight or whatever, because he was worried about me. I didn't want to push the problem away.

"I get that! I know it was sparring and I know it was an accident, but you were half dead, Izuku. We could have fucking lost you, for real, because some fucking slacker can't get his quirk under control." Kacchan ground out, his teeth tightly clenched.

At his words, all the anger and tension left my body. I just... couldn't be mad about that. Even if he hadn't handled the stress in the most healthy way possible, he only did it because he was scared. Of losing me. I might not have beaten Kaminari up if it had been one of them, but I know I definitely wouldn't be happy with him. 

"Kacchan," I said softly. I knew it would calm him down, he feeds off of other people's anger, but when Shoto or I talk gently to him, he just melts. It's kind of adorable to watch. "I'm not mad. I wish you would have handled it in a bit more civil of a way, but I get why you did it, and I guess I can't really blame you. Just please, next time, don't hit anyone." I said to him, keeping my voice quiet and calm.

He took a deep breath, his shoulders relaxing as he exhaled. "Next time?" He asked, not opening his eyes to look at me.

I tensed back up at his question. "Y-yeah. I'm going to be a hero, Kacchan. Just like you, and just like Shoto. That path comes with a lot of risks and  a lot of injuries. I'm going to get hurt, just like you two are." I said, trying not to set him off. I knew he wasn't in the most stable headspace at that moment. He was worried and scared, two emotions he doesn't deal with well.

He let out a forced breath of air. "I know that, but can we please not act like it's just another day at the office? Can we just pretend that we're all going to be okay?" He asked me, nearly making me burst into tears at how terrified he sounded.

But in reality, I knew that pretending like that would only make it more destructive when it did happen. I didn't want to lie to either of them like that. "Kacchan, that's not-"

Shoto cut me off, placing a hand on my arm before I could finish. "We're all gonna be fine, okay? I promise." He said, looking at me with a determined gaze, before switching to look at Kacchan.

"Promise?" He asked Shoto and I.

Shoto sent me a look, and I responded with, "Promise."

Sometimes you can't keep the promises you make.