Assignment

A/N: Welcome to my first fic on this account! It's just something to distract from school and have fun with. I've had this idea for so long and finally decided to sit down and write it! Hope you enjoy this intro chapter :)

Warnings: mention of drugs, bodies

~~~

You were finally getting your big break today. You were getting assigned your biggest case in your entire career of being an undercover agent for the NYSA, the New York Security Agency. From small gangs working drug runs to large mafias involved in high level crimes, the Agency was involved in bringing these criminals to justice.

You had been an agent for a few years and had been steadily moving up the ranks, handling more and more complex cases. You wanted to be a high level officer, to lead your own team, but the bosses wanted you to prove yourself. With this case, taking down the highly dangerous New York City Mafia, you could prove how capable you were.

"Y/N, do you have those documents I asked for?" Your boss, Director Hawthorne, called to you from his personal office, which was a large open space surrounded by glass walls.

You stood from your desk out in the main office area, where other agents were working at their desks. You snatched the case file you had spent weeks preparing off of the edge of your desk, fingertips tapping anxiously against the black folder before you released it into his grip. "As we have concluded, sir, the Way family are running their money laundering, hit list business, among all of the other organized crimes we believe they're committing, through Club Killjoy downtown. Their hit men are collecting money from going through with their murders and they're running it through the club to keep from getting caught. Unfortunately, we have no solid proof of them doing this and all of the local police's searches have come up with nothing."

"Our best bet is to have you go undercover, get close to the boss, and collect as much evidence as you can so that we can finally take these guys down. Bodies are coming up all over town. Money is going missing," Director Hawthorne sighed as he leaned back in his chair, dragging a hand through his dark brown hair apprehensively.

"I can do this, sir," you assured him, knowing you had to do this. You wanted to make a change in this city, this state, this world. It could start with this case.

"I know you can, agent. I have to warn you, though, this boss ... Gerard Way. From what we believe, he's stone cold. His body count and what we've heard he's done to people that get in his way is ... horrifying. This is a monster, agent, not a man. It would do you well to remember that while you're becoming buddy-buddy with him," your boss told you, his tone low and serious.

You were aware of all of this. You had done some research on Gerard Way, and you weren't fooled by that bright smile and that mess of black hair. You were taking him down no matter what. "How would you like me to get close to him?" You questioned, interested in how the Agency wanted you to go about this.

Director Hawthorne reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a sheet of paper, placing it in front of you for you to see.

You leaned forward to study the paper, which looked like a job advertisement. "I don't understand, sir."

"They're hiring a waitress for the club," Director Hawthorne explained, a nearly amused smile on his face.

"They're hiring people outside of the organization to work in their club? Isn't that kind of risky?" You wondered.

"If a search warrant can't produce evidence, a waitress bringing people drinks probably won't either. They're trying to camouflage themselves even more. You probably won't be let near any files or offices, but at least you'll be in Gerard's proximity. The easiest way to get the best evidence is to make him lower his guard around you. You know what to do from there," Director Hawthorne replied, gesturing for you to take the job advertisement.

You picked up the sheet and frowned a little. "I don't really have much waitressing experience. What if I don't get the job?" You asked, feeling like the question was almost silly. You could effortlessly roundhouse kick a bad guy and hit a shooting target dead in the middle even on a bad day, but you hadn't done any waitressing since you were a teenager.

"Make an impression on him," he advised you, giving you a look of pure faith.

You nodded, thanking him for the opportunity before walking out of the office and back to your desk to gather your things. It was time to go get a job.