Protection

You tapped your fingertips against the diner's table, listening to the clanking of silverware on plates and the hum of conversation around you. After you switched sides, choosing the Way family over the Agency, Gerard suggested that all five of you go talk in new scenery. Now, you were in some old diner with rips in the leather booths. You were pressed up against the window with Gerard at your side and Frank across from you with Ray and Mikey sitting beside him. You could hardly take the tension anymore.

"What's your next move against the Sykes family?" You asked, your arm brushing the leather of Gerard's jacket as you shifted a little in the booth. You wanted to go ahead and get started before you second guessed yourself.

"I don't think we should be spilling secrets to her," Frank muttered.

You kicked his shin under the table, making him shoot up in his seat suddenly enough to make the table shake.

"Stop it," Gerard hissed at the two of you, his hand clamping down on your wrist. He shot Frank a warning glare, one that coaxed faint chuckles from Ray and Mikey as they watched the scene. He turned to you with a soft sigh.

"We have a hit planned for tomorrow night. We think that the Sykes family is going to try to protect the hit. Any chance to beat them down a little helps," Gerard explained, his hand finally drifting away from your wrist as he turned back forward.

"We hope that slowly chipping away at the members and showing them that we're not ones to mess with will get them to back off," Ray added.

You nodded, understanding where they were coming from. You hoped for that outcome too because the other outcome would be incredibly bloody. You wanted to avoid a war between mafias as much as you could.

"Why don't you come with Frank and me tomorrow during the hit?" Gerard suggested with a hint of a smile.

Your eyes widened in surprise, a sense of excitement flooding through you as you nodded. You were glad that they were letting you in a little more. They were still cautious with you, but that was expected.

"I'd like that. What's the plan?" You wondered, wanting to be prepared. You were used to briefs before starting cases or assignments.

"Ray is our driver and back up. Mikey is our surveillance. We communicate through burner phones. When our target is alone in his office, Mikey clues us in, Ray parks by the back door, and Frank, you, and me will go in to take the guy out. If Mikey or Ray notice anything weird, they'll let us know and we handle it," Gerard replied, sharing a smile with the group.

"Just stay out of the way and watch. We don't need you messing anything up," Frank told you pointedly.

You rolled your eyes at him before looking to the others.

"You use burner phones for communication? You don't have earpieces or anything?" You asked them, cocking an eyebrow out of curiosity.

Mikey shook his head with a sheepish look.

"I'll get us some," you told them, knowing where they were at work. You could sneak some out and give them to Mikey to set up and configure. No more burner phones. Those were child's play. They were going to do things right if you were going to be on their side.

"Just be careful. The best way you can help us is to stay close to the Agency," Gerard told you.

You nodded, knowing that was a smart ploy. It would hurt a bit to keep going into the Agency and acting like everything was alright, but it was necessary if you were going to help take down the Sykes family. That was your ultimate goal. The Agency could fall next.

"They won't have a clue something is up. I'll just have to give them fake surveillance information about you guys," you replied with a little shrug.

To your confusion, Gerard and the others started laughing quietly among themselves. Gerard drifted a hand up through the dark strands of his hair, trying to stifle his laugh as he turned to face you.

"It was always fake, sugar. We made you soon after you arrived," Gerard murmured.

You parted your lips to speak, your face burning a degree. On one hand, you were embarrassed that they had figured out who you were and what your intentions were so quickly. On the other hand, you were blushing like mad because of the casual pet name he slapped on you.

"The Agency underestimated you ... I underestimated you. I thought you were just murderous savages," you muttered with a little shrug. That was how they were described to you. The Agency failed to mention how smart and organized they were to you.

"We aren't, but you're about to go against some. Tomorrow night is going to be dangerous. I can only protect you so much," Gerard replied with a serious look.

You matched his expression, your jaw tightening a degree as you shook your head.

"I don't need protection."