XII • POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE

twelve. postcards from the edge

Whitmore College, Bonnie and Caroline's Dormitory Room

Caroline is sitting up against the headboard of her single bed in the spacious room, writing in her journal with a serious look on her face, 'Dear Elena. I realized I haven't written in a while. I'm sorry. Apparently, pregnancy eats at your brain. Anyway, we all miss you, and I heard that Stefan's finally bouncing back from that Phoenix stone hell. But he's worried about Damon...a lot more than usual, or so that's what I've heard from Rosie'.

Just then, Isaac walks through the main door with a paper bag in his hands, and Caroline stops writing and sets down her journal so she can greet him, "Hey, sorry, I was trying to help Stefan track down his brother." His lovely girlfriend smiles happily at him, "Curly fries or waffle? I brought both."

"All of them. Everything. Gimme, gimme, gimme!" Isaac hands her the paper bag, smiling, and she reaches into it, pulling out a smaller paper bag of curly fries that she immediately starts eating; she moans in pure pleasure as she enjoys her bought snack, "Mmm, oh my God! I love you!" Both.

Her vampire boyfriend gives her a knowing smile, seeing her so cheerful, God, you're so cute. "Are you talking to me, or are you talking to the fries?"

Caroline gives him a mischievous but cute smile in return, "Do you want me to lie to you?" Isaac, amused, only hums in response and his vampire girlfriend leans forward to kiss him, "Hi. I love you too." When they pull away, Caroline's face becomes concerned, "Did you find him?"

Isaac sighs, "Nope. Notice that the keyword was try."

"Okay. Let me just chow down on this cheeseburger, and then I will help you guys track him down." Caroline is about to finish eating her food when she suddenly yelps in surprise and grabs her pregnant belly, "Oh!"

Isaac looks at her with concern, tilting his head, as Caroline continues to rub her side with her right hand, "Are they kicking again?"

"Mmhmm. Yeah, just...Ow!" The pregnant blonde grabs her right side harder and tries to laugh it off to lessen his worry, "Yeah, that wasn't very nice." The babies seem to kick harder inside of her, and Caroline yelps again in pain.

Isaac looks even more worried and moves toward her on the bed, "Hey, you okay?" He grabs her belly as well to feel the kicks in order to confirm it.

Caroline starts to look a little woozy and dazed, "Mmhmm. I think I should just, um...I'm going to stand up." She slowly starts to stand to her feet as her boyfriend watches her cautiously, worried about what the babies are doing.

"Okay..."

"For a second." She gets up from the bed and takes some deep breaths as she holds her side, but after a moment, her knees buckle weakly, and she faints, falling forward onto the single bed in front of her concerned lover.

Isaac rushes over and tries to gently wake her up, "Hey, hey, Caroline. Hey, Caroline!" When she doesn't wake up, he starts to panic, "Caroline!"

****

Whitmore College, Professor Saltzman's Office

Bonnie, Minerva and Nora are in the private office, in which they're kneeling on the floor; Bonnie and Nora each holding one end of the Phoenix sword while Minerva is watching them. They're surrounded by lit candles, and below the sword is a map of the United States for their locator spell, upon which they've placed the postcard Nora received from the Huntress.