XXXV • THE LIES WILL CATCH UP TO YOU

thirty-five. the lies will catch up to you

Mystic Grill Restaurant, Three Days Ago (2018)

After the eleventh ring of the Maxwell bell from the clock tower by Matt, there is a sudden flash and Kai appears at the local restaurant with smoke radiating from his body and he is dressed in the same suit which he wore when he died, looking shocked and confused about the entire situation. He sees a waitress and mentioned a male waiter who's about to walk past.

"Hey, where am I?"

The young waiter frowns at the question, "Mystic Falls? The Grill?"

Kai gasps and smiles hearing that, "Oh my God. Is it too late to order food?" The waiter leads him to his small table for two and shows him the menu, "Beer, burger. Two burgers. No. No. Two beers, three burgers. Are the fries here good? I remember them being a little soggy. Oh, and a hot dog! A hot dog. Is that...is that crazy? Whatever. I'll do it. Dog me. It's my special day, I am here, and here is not hell, and that means that I am alive, so...thank you." He smiles as he hands back the menu to the waiter and taps on the small table, looking around at the other people, "Yeah, good."

He then opens up a small packet of jelly served on the table. He dips his two right fingers in and eats it, "It doesn't taste like anything." He gets up and takes another man's burger, bites into it and then spits it out, "Why...can't I taste anything?" Angered, he throws the food off the table and yells in frustration and denial, "Come on, come on. Come on, come on, come on. Come on. Come on. Come on. Okay." He grabs a sharp knife and stabs it into his left hand, "I can't feel anything. I'm not here. I'm not alive."

"Okay, here's that beer." The same waiter looks at him in pure confusion.

Kai frowns, pulls the knife from his hand and points it towards the waiter. He lifts his other left hand up, "Motus." The waiter slides directly into the knife, penetrating his neck and killing him, "Well...at least I felt that."

****

The Armory Headquarters

"Is that weird or what?" Kai laughs slightly as he checks out the ancient artifact in the cave curiously, "I mean, I can still touch stuff. I'm not a ghost. More like a psychic imprint. Stuck between dimensions thanks to hell's bell. One foot on Earth, the other in Cade's nightmare world of hurt. On the run, off the grid. A renegade relying only on his wits." He laughs once more.

Minerva gives him a truly annoyed look, her arms folded, "Seriously?"

"A renegade. That's funny. I can still do magic if I siphon myself, but even then, it takes concentration. It's like having cell reception on Mars."

His judgmental ex-girlfriend looks away from him with a scoff of disbelief, "Well, this is just great. I see nothing has really changed about you."

"Aww, Mini, if you're still in love with me, just say so." The Heretic cooed.

Alaric, who is holding the dagger, roughly pushes him and pins him to the rocky wall, though he is totally unfazed by this, "You murdered my wife."

"Aah. Fiancé. It was mid-ceremony as I remember. But yes, yes, yes, huge, huge mistake. I see that now. I do." Kai raises his other left hand up at Alaric's side, "Motus." Though nothing happens, Damn it. "Okay."