XXIII • HELLO, BROTHER

twenty-three. hello, brother

Salvatore Boarding House, Stefan and Rosie's Bedroom/Enzo's Cabin

          Breathy moans, light and heavy grunts and groans are heard from the couple's spacious bedroom somewhere in the Château Salvatore one bright early morning from the left ajar door, where Stefan and Rosie are passionately having sexual intercourse on their large king-sized bed; with very messy hair and sweaty bodies, Rosie flips their position over so that Stefan is on top of her and they continue to passionately make out. His bigger left hand intertwines with her right on the big pillow her head is resting on and he smiles as he keeps on kissing her, the love of his life.

          Meanwhile, Bonnie remains alone at her and Enzo's secluded, safe, cabin somewhere not too far away from Mystic Falls, in which she is seated on the vintage three-seated couch in the living room with his old guitar. Her journal is placed on the nearby coffee table in front of her, open as she silently reads a written entry while she slowly plays the musical instrument.

          'Dear Elena...For the next week, you'll be reading updates from me. Minerva, Caroline, Stefan and I decided that only one person should write about our epic failure at the time. Believe me, you won't want to read four versions of the same sad story when you wake up. The search for Damon and Enzo goes on and on, we're no closer to knowing where they are, or who, or what took them. We promised each other we'll find a way to steal small moments of normal every day. It's how we all stay sane'.

          Bonnie strums her guitar a little too hard and breaks her low E string. She pulls up the broken end with her hand and looks at it glumly before scrunching up her face in an effort not to cry. After a moment, she shoves the old guitar away from her and buries her face in her hands, feeling deeply upset that Enzo has disappeared for months now as autumn has fallen.

          Stefan and Rosie are now engaging in post-coital cuddling after sex on their bed; with Rosie seemingly sleeping peacefully with her head resting on her boyfriend's chest as Stefan gently and lovingly rubs her soft left arm.

          'But it's just you and me talking right now and I need to tell you, it's hard. It's the hardest thing I've had to do in my whole life'. Bonnie continues to struggle to hold back her hot and forming tears as she remembers a memory of her and Enzo during her time living in the safe house with him.

          Bonnie breathes out a heavy sigh which sounds more like a sob as she contemplates it for as if, the hundredth time, how painful being deeply in love can be. Although, it wouldn't be her first, but Enzo seems to be the epic love of her life, compared to the rest of her ex-boyfriends. She continues to painfully reminisce the sweet memory with a tear-streaked face before she remembers another one even when she repeatedly told herself not to.

****

Devon Residence

          Isaac and Caroline have been staying and living together at the house in West Avenue, with Minerva, where the duo are in the respective guest's bedroom from sleeping together the previous night. Isaac has just changed into a simple white tank top and his dark jeans and is sitting on the big queen-sized bed while Caroline flits around the bedroom, talking animatedly about a young woman named Seline, her and Alaric's new babysitter for Josie and Lizzie, while she continues to get dressed for work.

          "And then she cut their sandwiches into the shapes of little hearts and stars, with no crust!"

          Isaac stifles a grin, "That's cute." His controlling girlfriend makes a face at him, and he starts to reconsider his comments, Whoops. "...Isn't it?"