XXXIII • YOU MADE A CHOICE TO BE GOOD

thirty-three. you made a choice to be good

Mystic Falls Coffee Shop

Cade, in a suit, walks into a local coffee shop, where Minerva is paying for her order — a cardboard tray of two warm coffee cups at the cash register when he mentioned the menu as he stands behind her in the queue, "There's so many options. 'Nitro brew'? 'Flat white'? 'Sea salt and smoked chili latte'?" He chuckles at the item names, "These are complicated times."

"It's Mystic Falls' attempt to be hipster. If you want simple, go for the straight drip." Minerva suggested with a sweet smile.

"Hmm. Thanks for the insight." The man, smiling, gives her a thumbs up.

"Good luck." Minerva walks out the front door with the small tray of drinks.

"I would like a straight drip."

"For here or to go?"

"To go, please." He hands him the dollar bill, "Keep the change."

"Appreciate it." The young blonde barista moves over to the cash register.

Cade chuckles as he adds his hot coffee with sugar, "I know you've been stretching your paycheck while you try to impress your boss' wife. You didn't have to try so hard. Based on what I see in your memory, money was the least of her needs. Now, you were right to wonder about all of her lunch dates. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Always at his place. Hmm." He leaves as the boss has been standing not too far from his employee behind the counter.

Just as Cade walks out of the shop with a happy smile, the young boss is mercilessly beating up the poor blonde barista and slams him toward the glass of the front door, blood critically coming out of his mouth and nose.

****

Mystic Falls High School, Time Capsule Day

Many people are outside of the main building for the celebration, sponsored by the town's historical society and Matt addressed them all at the podium, "Welcome, everybody. As part of our ramp-up to Founder's Day, our high school students have followed up on a local legend about a time capsule buried in 1790. With the help of our historical society, they went digging for treasure. And this is what they found." Applause is heard after he reveals what was found, "Left behind by the first settlers, it hasn't been opened until now." Matt looks at one of the items uncovered and walks to where Caroline and Rosie, for the news, are digging on the ground under a tree.

"Hey. You okay? You looked a little shaky up there." Caroline mentioned.

Rosie smiles in a teasing manner, "Don't tell me it was stage fright."

"Yeah, this morning's been a real mess. I got called into a fight at a coffee shop, these two guys almost killed each other." The new sheriff reported.

Rosie frowns at this, truly puzzled and horrified, "Wait, what? Coffee shop?"

Caroline gives her a truly surprised look, "Coffee Bean?"

"Yeah, Minerva was just there this morning. How did that happen?"

"I feel like Mystic Falls just isn't as safe as it used to be." Caroline said.

"Tell me about it." Matt sees the old item his blonde ex-girlfriend uncovered and smiles at the sight of it, "Is that ancient Tupperware?"

Caroline laughs slightly as she stares at the very familiar container, "Elena, Minerva, Bonnie and I made our own time capsule when we were eleven and buried it right under this tree. And I cannot believe it is still here." Smiling, she and Rosie walk over to sit at a bench as Matt follows them.