Four

Tabari stares at his reflection in the floor-length mirror. A small mark on his neck was the only evidence left that he had been attacked. Tabari buttons the front of his overcoat and smoothes out his clothes. Tabari was wearing a deep blue color to represent King Ansel. He glances over to Akio who is struggling to put on his boots. Akio had worn bright and colorful clothing in honor of King Bowyn. His kingdom was known for the immaculate colorful fabrics and beautiful designs. Akio had it made overnight so he would impress the King and get on his good side.

Of course, Tabari told Akio who was coming. He could not just leave his little brother to wonder who was visiting.

A tiny laugh bubbles up in Tabari's chest as he watches Akio tumble off the bed.

"Here, let me help you so you do not break anything." Tabari grabs the boot and slips Akio's foot into it. "There you go."

"How did you get it so easily? It takes me forever to squeeze into those damned things."

Akio looks up at Tabari and stops when he sees the worry in his eyes. Akio places his hand onto his brother's shoulder and pulls him close. Akio was one of the only people that Tabari let touch him. He felt safe with his little brother.

"I will be right beside you the whole night, Tabari. You have nothing to worry about. If the King happens to be a mean son of a bitch, I will kick him so hard between his legs that my foot will go up his ass and out his mouth. I swear, Tabari. I will do it. Royal or not, consequences be damned."

"While I appreciate you wanting to stand up for me, I would rather you not cause a war between the two kingdoms. I do not wish for you to die tonight."

Akio smirks and pulls Tabari onto the bed with him, straddling the older boy's waist. Tabari groans, knowing what was coming next. Akio digs his fingers into Tabari's sides. Tabari jerks upwards, trying desperately to get away from Akio.

"Akio! Stop," Tabari yells through giggles and snorts. Akio laughs along with Tabari, not letting up. "Akio! I am going to pee myself!" Akio immediately removes his hands and jumps back from Tabari's body. He laughs as Akio rubs his hands on his pants even though there was nothing on his hands. He was simply overreacting.

"Speaking seriously, I will protect you even if it costs me my life. You have already done so much for me so I need to do things for you."

Tabari pulls his little brother close and kisses his forehead.

"I hope it never comes to that. You should live a long and happy life. Please, do not risk your life for someone like me. You would be wasting it on me."

Akio's mood drops at his brother's words. He always talked like his life was not worth it. Akio hated how Tabari talked about himself. Akio watches as Tabari smooths out his clothes and walks up to the doors that lead out to their balcony.

"The first snow of the season," Tabari says, gesturing to the light dusting of snow covering the palace grounds. Flurries of snow floating down from the cloudy sky. Akio joins Tabari by the doors and watches the snowfall.

They stand by the door for hours, seeing the snow become deeper and deeper. Tabari and Akio feel a small connection spark in their heads, signaling that someone was trying to mind link them. Tabari takes down his wall and so does Akio.

'King Bowyn Rowe has arrived. You two need to be down here before he makes it to the palace gates. Please hurry,' Collin says.

Tabari takes a deep shaking breath. Akio grasps Tabari's hand and nuzzles it to his cheek.

"Everything will be okay, Tabari. Just focus on your breathing and I will guide you to the dining room."

Tabari finds it hard to smell any other scents due to the smell of fear clouding his body. Akio could smell it as well but did not comment on it because it would make Tabari more nervous. Akio guides Tabari down the winding stairs to the dining area, holding on tightly to the older omega as he shakes uncontrollably.

Once they enter the dining room, they take their place beside their parents and younger siblings. The youngest pup, two-month-old Mattias, reaches out for Tabari. Collin smiles warmly at Tabari as he takes the young pup out of his mother's arms. Despite his shaking body, Tabari holds the pup close and strokes his little back. Mattias sucks on his thumb as he slowly falls asleep against Tabari's shoulder.

"They had to abandon their two carriages because of the weather," Greyson explains. "King Bowyn traveled the rest of the way in wolf form. Two of his servants will be late because they need to make sure the horses make it here alive. The servents will work hard to clear the roads so he will be able to travel back to his kingdom safely."

The servents would pull a large shovel-like piece of machinery by ropes in their wolf form behind them to clear the roads when it snowed. In reality, it only took a two-hour run to make it to King Bowyn's kingdom but when you traveled by carriage it would take longer. The servants were good at clearing the dirt roads. After they were done, they were rewarded with money and food. It seemed easy enough to pull the machine but they had to remove the snow when it became full and pull the heavy machine. The servants performed the task quickly but it was still a very arduous task.

The door to the dining room opens and a servant that was not from the palace steps through.

"Introducing King Bowyn Rowe of the Northern Isle," The servent says, bowing in respect as another man enters followed by six guards.

As Tabari gets increasingly afraid, Collin takes Mattias from Tabari's arms and Akio pats his back.

King Bowyn was very handsome. Even though he should have been scared, Akio swoons over the large man before him. Akio stops himself from fanning his flushed cheeks with his hands, instead, bowing politely like the rest of his family.

Tabari does not bow, standing rigid and staring at King Bowyn. Fear fills his veins the longer he felt the King's eyes on him.

King Bowyn was tall. Taller than King Asmodeus who was an extremely tall man. He had long black hair styled just so to frame his chiseled face. His skin was pale because of the climate he lived in. It was always cold in the Northern Isle, the sun further away from his kingdom. King Bowyn had hazel eyes. Tabari noted the difference between his hazel eyes and the King's. King Bowyn's eyes were cold and dark while Tabari's were light and wide.

Tabari's eyes stay glued to the man across the room from him, unable to move as his wolf whispers the one thing that he never wanted to hear ever. 'Mate.'

No, it cannot be true...

Tabari's eyes fill with tears. He cannot be mated to anyone! Let alone this cruel man who was known to mistreat and kill people. A man who detested all forms of weakness. Tabari refused to believe what his wolf was telling him even when King Bowyn's intoxicating scent of fresh pine and rain invades his nose.

'Mate,' Tabari's wolf urges.

Tabari's mind reels and his body does the only thing that it was capable of doing at that moment.

He faints...