Fifteen

Lenore was confused...

The boy standing in front of him was most certainly not Warren. But it was clear that he was Lenore's mate. But how was that possible? Second chance mates were extremely rare. And it often took someone years to find them. Not to mention, Lenore's bond with Warren was still valid. He had not accepted the rejection yet.

"Mate..." The boy whispers again.

Lenore pulls the boy into his bedchamber and slams the door closed behind him.

"How is this possible," The boy asks, voicing exactly what Lenore was thinking. "I am only thirteen."

"What?"

"Exactly! I should have three more years until I am of age to find my mate. Why can I sense you now? I mean, not like I am complaining or anything..."

Lenore runs his hand through his tangled brown hair in frustration. He sits down at the edge of his bed, patting the spot beside him. The boy rushes to sit by his mate, grasping onto the older's hand.

"I already have a bond with another," Lenore explains. "One that has not yet been broken completely."

"Do you suppose it is a tri-mating?"

"I do not know. The only way to find out is if you were close to him.  I have never seen you in the palace before. Are you new?"

"I just moved to the palace so I could be closer to my brother."

What is your name? My name is Lenore."

"My name is Akio."

Akio beams, pulling Lenore closer so he could scent him. Sure, he was not a big strong man like Akio was hoping for. But by the Goddess, if he hadn't fallen for the boy as soon as they locked eyes... He was happy to have been blessed with a mate three years before he was set to find them. Akio wanted nothing more than to shower his mate in affection. He wanted to prove to Lenore that he was a good mate and would do anything for the older boy.

Akio loved Lenore already. Lenore was beautiful, deep brown hair and an even darker set of brown eyes. His voice was soft and melodic. Albeit, a little scratchy. Most likely from crying so hard. His face was a splotchy red as well, informing Akio that Lenore had been crying for more than a day.

"I heard you crying when I was walking to my bedchamber. I wanted to check on you so I knocked on the door. I did not smell your scent until the door opened. It was like Goddess decided that we were going to be mates right at that moment."

Lenore pondered Akio's words. Perhaps Akio was right... Perhaps the Moon Goddess chose to gift Lenore with Akio as a last-minute decision. Whatever the reason may be.  Lenore began to cry, sniffling and burying his face into his hands Thinking about what led up to Akio finding him.

"I was going to take my life tonight," Lenore whimpers. Akio gasps, pulling his sobbing mate into another tight embrace. "Goddess must have placed you before me in attempts to keep me from jumping. All I ever wanted was to have a mate who loves me. Warren, my mate, rejected me. Twice. I did not want to continue living if it meant living alone and in constant pain. She knew exactly what would make me stay."

Akio smooths down Lenore's hair, pulling him up the bed and tucking him underneath the covers. 

"I am glad that the Moon Goddess gave me to you," Akio whispers. "Let's get some rest, you look exhausted. May I kiss you goodnight?"

"No."

"Why not," the younger boy whines. Lenore stifles a giggle at his tone.

"Because you are a child. I am seventeen. You are only thirteen."