Seven

Tabari sits down at the table, keeping his head down. Bowyn's lips tug at the edges as he sees his mate wearing his robe.

"You went through my wardrobe, I see," Bowyn comments, nodding to the deep purple fabric.

"I- I am so sorry, Your Majesty," Tabari stands, his hands trembling as he reaches to pull off the only garment keeping him warm.

"No, you may keep it. I never wear it anymore. And besides," Bowyn's smirk grows. "The color purple suits you."

Tabari releases a breath that he did not know he had been holding. He sits back down, folding his hands on his lap. He keeps his gaze away from the man in front of him. Bowyn opens the lid to the dish and steam billows into the air. An immaculately cooked meat pie with potatoes and carrots surrounding it sits on the plate. Tabari's mouth waters as the smells waft towards him.

Bowyn grabs two separate plates and begins to serve the meat pie and vegetables out.

"So you are my mate," Bowyn says. "I most certainly not expecting you to be an omega. A male omega, at that. I was expecting a strong female who could ensure an even stronger line of offspring."

Tabari says nothing as he unravels the cloth napkin that holds his utensils. As he holds out his hand to catch the utensils, he hisses as they make contact with his skin. The utensils clatter against the table as he drops them.

They were silver...

Bowyn holds the utensils with ease, his skin seemingly fine while Tabari's soft flesh bubbled and sizzled with pain.

"We have built a tolerance to silver in my kingdom. So we are not weak."

Tabari's heart clenched each time Bowyn insulted him. With each harsh comment, Tabari wished that he was home with his family. Tabari sits and watches the steam rise from his piece of meat pie. Oh, how he wished he could eat it. But he could not pick up the utensils because he would sustain more damage to his hands. Tears well up in Tabari's eyes as he looks out upon the town at the bottom of the hill.

The town was seemingly quiet. No lights could be seen from the palace. Tabari was used to the town at home bustling with life even at night. His Uncles had made sure that their people were well fed and not overworked. The townspeople were usually out late into the night, conversing with friends and neighbors. Celebrating another lively day.

Bowyn's townspeople were nowhere to be seen. The town looked almost abandoned. Did his people have a curfew? It was understandable that nobody was out because of how late into the night it was but still there was not even a sliver of light. It made an unsettling feeling pool in Tabari's stomach.

"Are you not going to eat," Bowyn asks. His voice sounded annoyed and filled with impatience. "Are you not satisfied with what my servants have prepared for you?"

"I cannot touch the silver," Tabari admits shamefully. "It burns me."

Tabari almost didn't catch the word that Bowyn mumbles under his breath. But he hears it and that one word cuts deep into his heart.

Pathetic...

"Then eat with your hands if you wish to display such savagery in front of your King."

Tabari almost picked apart the meat pie with his hands, his stomach rolling in hunger. But he could not bring himself to do it. His cheeks flush with shame and embarrassment. All Tabari wanted to do was curl up into a ball and cry.

Out of all the people the Moon Goddess could have chosen to pair Tabari with, it just had to be a cruel King who hated everything about him. Who reminded Tabari of him...