Twenty Nine

"Dada!"

Both Tabari and Bowyn stare at their son in shock. Tabari had never heard Ambrose speak, and to say it so flawlessly... it surprised him.

Bowyn had thought that he heard his son say his name as he was waking. But he thought it was just his imagination, being confused and groggy as he came out of his coma. All he wanted to do was hold his small family. Taking one look at Tabari told Bowyn just how much they suffered in his absence.

He could tell that he had been asleep for a long time. Ambrose had grown. Still, he was a tiny pup as he was an omega. But he was bigger than Bowyn remembered. Tabari was noticeably different as well. He looked terrible. He looked tired and there was a suffocating stressed scent surrounding him.

"Bowyn..." Tabari breaks off, sobbing. He hurries over to his mate's side, placing a shaking hand on Bowyn's cheek. His little hand quivering more as Bowyn presses his hand against Tabari's.

"Tabari..."

"No, love. Do not talk yet. You cannot strain your vocal cords, you will have a hard time speaking for a little bit. You do not need to speak, I am right here with you. I am right here..."

Bowyn notices the deep dark circles underneath Tabari's teary eyes. Those beautiful hazel eyes that he missed so much...

A glint catches Bowyn's eyes, his gaze moving up to see a crown atop his head. The crown that Bowyn had designed for him. Which meant that Tabari was officially Queen of the Northern Isle. It dawns on him that they would not have gone on with the ceremony if they had thought that Bowyn would survive. They thought he was going to die...

No wonder Tabari was under so much emotional distress. He thought he was going to lose him.

Bowyn tugs at Tabari's sleeve, trying to get him to lie down on the bed. Tabari was hesitant, not wanting to hurt Bowyn.

"Let me...hold you..." Bowyn rasps.

Tabari lets out another soft sob, sliding into bed next to his mate. Bowyn winds his arms around Tabari's small body, noting how thin he had gotten. Ambrose was squished between the pair, loving that both his parents were now with him. He nuzzles his little face under Bowyn's neck, falling asleep comfortably in his father's embrace.

Tabari's face was red and tearstained, his chest heaving as he tries to keep in his cries. He unravels, though, when Bowyn leans over and kisses his lips using up most of his limited strength. Tabari lets out an unearthly cry, his wails, and sobs startling both Bowyn and Ambrose.

All Bowyn could do was keep his arms tightly wound around his mate as he let out all of his pent-up stress and emotions. As he cried in his arms.

And oh, did he cry...

Tabari cried for hours on end, not being able to stop himself. And when there were no tears left to cry, it was almost worse. Tabari shook like a leaf in a storm in his arms. His chest heaving and jerking sporadically as he hiccuped and tried to catch his breath.

Eventually, Tabari passed out, so worn out from crying. It hurt, seeing Tabari so worked up. Bowyn tries to move his legs so he could completely wrap himself around his mate. But groans in frustration as his legs barely twitch. It would be a while before he could walk again. Before he could move properly. Goddess, it infuriated him. He did not want to be stuck in a bed doing nothing while Tabari took care of everything...

Bowyn sighs, placing his head just above Tabari's, inhaling his scent. He thinks back to when he was 'asleep'. He remembered everything. Even though he could not move, he could hear everything. He could hear Ambrose cooing to him. Tabari telling him how much he loved him. Lenore, his most treasured sibling, sharing his most fond memories with him of their family.