Cancer

—I think it's time... -Calum says as he's reading the newsletter that came in the mail talking about kids-

—Time to...? -his girlfriend asks, putting down the cup of coffee on the table-

—To have kids, wouldn't it be- -she cuts him off rapidly-

—Absolutely not!!! It's not, so you better be erasing that idea off of your mind.

It is the first time that Calum ever mentioned the idea of having kids together to his long term girlfriend. That made her feel so many things at the same time, but her response is a no... It could be due to the nervousness or just because she hasn't had a time to think about it, process it and talk it through.

—R-really?

—Yeah -she says calmly-

—I honestly think it's time, we've been together for years now, we're stable in every single aspect of our lives... And you now I'm a sucker for babies. Plus, I'd really love to see my mum enjoying her grandchildren.

She stays quiet for seconds, analysing what her boyfriend just told her. The dots connected.

—So, that's the reason...

—What do you mean "that's the reason"? -he frowns-

—The real reason why you wanna have kids right now, Cal.

—What's supposed to be the reason? -his voice sounds threatening now, confirming what her girlfriend thinks. She chuckles and shakes her head, thinking the conversation is over.-

Y/N grabs her cup of coffee again and drinks some of it as she unlocks her phone with her opposite hand. As she looks up, she notices Calum hasn't stopped looking at her.

—What? -she giggles-

—So, you're never telling me what's the reason?

—Your mom's the reason, Cal. You want her to live long enough to know her grandchildren.

He stares at her, debating whether if it's true or not what she's saying.

—It's not that -he denies as soon as he realises she's right, because, of course; he can be stubborn- I truly want to have kids, I mean, I'm fulfilled in every aspect of my life, why wouldn't I want to add more joy to it?

—Cal, you just decided that like it's no big deal, having kids changes your life completely. Having kids sometimes even ruins some relationships and that's just one of the many taboos that people avoid.

—You think I decided it minutes ago? -he scoffs- it's something I've been thinking for months now and I couldn't bring myself to tell you. And for the record, Mali could give my mum grandkids as well, if you think that's the case.

—You know Mali doesn't have a boyfriend and you know her like anybody else—you, out of everybody in this world should know that Mali wouldn't have a baby unless she's in a stable relationship.

—Alright, but let's not make this about Mali, we're talking about us.

She looks annoyed while he looks bothered. If this is just a talk, having actual kids would be a disaster; is what she thinks.

—Well, I'm really sorry, but I'm not ready to have kids. Maybe, we can talk about it in the future and we'll see.

She drinks the last sip of her -now cold- coffee, he looks again at the newsletter. They stay quiet, but without looking at each other. She's now terrified by the new thoughts of having a baby together and messing things up, she surely didn't want to lose him because he's the love of her life. On the other side of the table, Calum is questioning them, there's no doubt he loves Y/N with his whole heart, but one thing's sure: he wants a family. That's something they talked on the beginning of their relationship and she agreed with him.