Everglow

Outside Cal's house, I've been waiting too long for him to open his gate. I didn't let him know I was coming over, and now he won't even check his texts.

I decide to call Roy, his best friend and roommate, just to see if he could open up for me. Luckily, our blond friend quickly responds, saying he's coming. In less than a minute, the gate is opening. I look at my friend, who's barefoot, shirtless and with a messy hair bun.

—Hey -I smile at him, he was already smiling at me-

Roy is such a beautiful soul, he's always happy and radiates this magical energy.

—Hi there -he waves and waits for the gate to close, I park the car as he walks to me. Before leaving my car, I grab the bags of the food I had brought- he's too inspired, didn't wanted to bother

—Inspired? -I scrunch my face, not knowing what to expect-

Yes, he's an amazing soul but has this weird humour after all—he could say Calum is inspired and turns out my boyfriend is just in the bathroom.

—Just listen -he says as we walk into the house-

The first thing that got my attention is the melody of the piano. First, it's just the sound, Roy and I decide to just stop halfway to enjoy the melody, then, my boyfriend starts to sing, making everything two times better.

—He's amazing -Roy mumbles, I nod-

—I know, right? -I try to talk as low as possible, wanting to enjoy the function-

Not finishing the song, Calum decides to stop. Then passes onto another random melody that I don't know, but sounds good—Roy and I start walking towards him again. He jumps as he realises he's not alone anymore, and clearly, he wasn't expecting us.

—I, hi -he says shyly-

—Hi -I softly say, walking to him, leaning into a kiss- that was beautiful -I mumble onto his lips-

—Thank you -he dimples are on display thanks to his smile- how long have you been here now?

—Not too long -I look at Roy again- but long enough to hear you singing. Everglow, right?

—You know it -he proudly smiles-

—Amazing, brother -Roy cheers him up and Calum proudly smiles back-

—I didn't know you were playing, didn't even know you were here, so I texted Roy and he told me you were inspired -I say as I set my car keys and the bags on the table-

He stands up and walks away from the piano, kneeling down to pick Duke up.

—I don't know, I woke up really feeling that song today -he confesses, then starts looking around- where did I leave my damn phone?

I giggle to it. He's always losing that phone, thankfully, he has a long password and auto lock, otherwise, I'd be terrified if that phone got lost. We'd be entirely exposed.

—Are we surprised? -I mock, asking Roy, he just laughs in response-

—You must've left it in your room -he suggests his friend. Calum walks to his room, leaving us on the living room- I made coffee, you want sum?

—Are your really asking? -I raise an eyebrow funnily, he just chuckles and pours coffee into two mugs. Calum isn't as fan as we are of coffee-

As Roy hands me the mug, Calum comes back with his phone on his hand, Duke following him.

—I'm just seeing your texts, sorry -he says to me and hugs me from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder-

—Don't worry, babe -I touch one of his hands- so, you woke up feeling Everglow?

—Yeah -he says- I don't know, I had this odd dream that I was practically alone. All of you were there, but no one really knew me, and I was like... -he realises there are two bags of food on the counter top- You went to Langer's? -I lightly nod in response- man, I love that restaurant.

—Hope you two are hungry -I giggle-

—I'm always hungry, love -he kisses my cheek- love you, thanks.

—Love you, too -Roy tells me-

—I love you both -I say- but you didn't even finish telling us your dream -I giggle-

—Shit, right -he mumbles, walks away and sits beside me- well, yeah. All of you were there and you knew each other, there was like a thing but seemed like you arrived first. Even you -he says looking at me, Calum always picks me up whenever we go out- so I went and said hello, but you all looked at me as if I was a lunatic—at first, I thought you were messing with me, but then I realised you weren't. I was trying to explain myself, I said I've known them for years and that we were in a band together, I told Roy we're best friends and live together and I told you I was your boyfriend, but none of you believed me. So, I tried looking through my photos to find any photo of us and there wasn't ANY.

Roy and I are too into the story, paying full attention.

—It was nuts, mate. So in the dream, I was like: "fuck, so sad all of our relationships ended and they don't remember. But I do, and they were so fucking amazing."

—We swore on that night we'd be friends 'til we die, but the changing of winds, and the way waters flow. Life is short as the falling of snow -Roy harmoniously sings to the lyrics of the song. He also sings pretty good-

—Exactly -Calum says- as soon as I woke up, I played that song and it's been stuck in my brain throughout the day.

—If that'd ever happened in real life, would be so fucking odd -I say- but everyone has a cicle in our lives, though.

—You think so? -Roy asks-

—I'm sure about it -I say- everyone comes into your life and you learn something from them, whether it was a good or a bad experience. Nothing lasts forever, as much as you'd like to. Every friendship dissipates with the past of the time, lovers fade away, everyone chooses to walk their own path. -I explain to them- and that's totally okay.

—Or death can happen, too -Cal adds-

—Yeah -I agree- but sadly, or luckily, nothing lasts forever, so we just gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

—I wouldn't picture myself thinking of my current relationship ending. I don't know, I'd be so upset -Roy pouts, making me giggle-

—Cal and I have talked about it in the past. Of course we don't want our relationship to end, but if it ever happens, we'd be happy we were once together -I look at my precious boyfriend as I say those words, he's looking at me smilingly-

—You guys make me sick -Roy messes with us- stop making me third-wheel

Calum and I laugh along at Roy's comment. We are together a lot of times, there are moments where we are at Cal's living room watching a movie, the three of us, Cal and I forget we're not alone and start to give each other short kisses or snuggles, Roy ends up sermoning us on the third-wheel thing. Sometimes we also do it to mess with Roy.

—You love us -Calum rolls his eyes-

—Sadly, I do -he teases us, making us chuckle-

—Shall we eat? -I remember the food and my mouth starts to water-

The two men get excited over the food, so we get to it. We spent the rest of the day casually talking about whatever crossed our minds. As the sun set, Calum and I were actually tired, so we decided to go to Cal's bedroom and take a nap along with Duke. But before actually falling asleep, I think once again, gratefully: don't be sad if this ever ends, be happy this ever happened.