Chap. 7

Felix was right!

That's all I can say right now. He was right! I didn't have Chloe under control, she broke her promise when she said she wouldn't try anything. I thought this dinner was going to be peaceful and comfortable, but instead, I had to sometimes shift away from Chloe due to all her touching and her making me feel uncomfortable. It was hard to believe, that the Chloe who had promised not to do anything and had kept that promise until now, was now trying to act like my girlfriend all of a sudden. I hated it, and wanted to say something to stop her, but right now I was trying to think of the perfect words to say, ones that wouldn't hurt her but would make her understand.

"Here Adrien, try this." Chloe placed a hand on my shoulder as she leaned closer with a spoon of some of the food. She brought the spoon closer to my mouth while herself came closer as well, but I pushed the food away and backed off. "What is it, Adrien? Are you full?" If it was someone else, she would have most likely fooled them with her innocent eyes. But it wasn't someone else. It was me, her friend since young of age. I knew — I always knew — what she was up to.

"Can I talk to you?" I cleared my throat and moved my chair away a little. "Privately. It's very important."

"Sure." She put the spoon down and got up, while I, myself did the same thing. I could see everyone looking at us and I could tell they continued to stare as Chloe and I headed out of the room with no other words. It was a little embarrassing, having to be excused because Chloe couldn't keep her hands to herself.

Being the second one out, I closed the door behind us, knowing the door was sound-proofed and our conversation wouldn't be heard by the others. Chloe turned to me yet again with those innocent eyes of hers, but I just cleared my throat again and looked away, as if the wall I was looking at now was going to give me an idea on how to start.

"What is it, Adrien?"

"You were making me uncomfortable!" I blurted out. If I didn't know how to tell her in the nicest way possible, it was best I tell her the whole truth rather than keeping it to myself. "Chloe, I don't know what you were doing in there, but it was making me uncomfortable. I hope you remember the promise you gave me. That you wouldn't try anything like this."

Chloe stared at me with wide eyes, before adverting her eyes away from me, looking sad all of a sudden. I stared at her for a few seconds. None of us said anything, but I was hoping she would apologize and we would get this done and over with.

Then she looked my way. "You know. . .what my biggest fear is?"

"The dark?" I asked, though I was positive it was the dark, because I did remember that one night we'd been playing hide and seek, and she had decided it was a good idea to hide in the dark. She had ended up crying when I found her.

"No," Chloe shook her head, surprising me. "Adrien, the best thing that had even happened to me was you. It was you befriending me when no one else would. And I'm afraid that this friendship isn't going to. . .last. Before, when we were young, I wasn't worried at all. You never got the idea to make any other friends, and I liked that because that meant you only hanged out with me, it meant there was no way you'd find a way to replace me. But when we got older, I got scared, because I was afraid. . . I was afraid you would get yourself a girlfriend."

"What?"

"I was afraid that when you get a girlfriend, you would completely forget about me. And I know you're going to get a girlfriend sooner or later, which is why I'm trying to make you fall in love with me!"

"Again, what?!"

"I thought it'd be amazing if you fell for me and I became your girlfriend, so that way, we'd always be together. No one would be in our way, and-" Chloe sniffed, quickly wiping her tears away before I got a chance to see them. "I'm just afraid of losing you. I already lost my mother, and now I know I'm never getting her back. Besides my father, you're the only one who's precious to me, and it would be the worst day of my life if I lost you, Adrien, which is why I'm trying so hard to keep you close."