Chap. 10

I sat there, staring at the chocolate bar she was holding up at me, then I reached forward and took it. I wanted to thank her, but I didn't say anything, afraid that she would recognize my voice right away, and get mad at me because she would think I was fooling her or something. I didn't want her to get even more mad, seeing that she already was because I insulted her friend.

"In fact, why are you sitting here when there's a bakery two minutes away from you," Marinette spoke up again, standing up from her knees now. "I'm sorry to say this, but you look absolutely skinny. You kind of remind me of this boy in school. . ." She paused, before she continued. "You should come over to my bakery and have some pastries."

"Your bakery?" I made sure to make my voice sound deeper than it actually was. When I spoke, I didn't sound like Adrien — instead I sounded like a helpless and confused man. I knew I didn't know Marinette that well, which was something I had wanted to do. I could. . . Perhaps I could get closer to her with a different look.

"Well, actually, my parents' bakery. Don't worry though, I'm always happy to help people out. The pastries will be free," She suddenly took my hand and pulled me up. I didn't usher her away. Instead, I let her lead me towards where her bakery was.

~

I didn't talk much while I enjoyed my time in the bakery, but I did get to see how much of a good person Marinette was, and how close she was with her parents. All throughout my stay, I'd always be hearing them laughing, sharing some inside jokes to each other, helping each other out as they dealt with every customers they got; they always had each other's backs. Being here made me realize that I was practically hanging out with Marinette without her knowing. I was learning more about her, and though I felt a little guilty that I was tricking her, I felt glad that this was happening.

I didn't think I had any chance as Adrien anymore. Marinette hated me as Adrien, she saw me as the kind of person who would insult someone with no feelings of regret and guilt. And when she had said my disguise reminded her of a boy from her school. . . Was she talking about me?

"Do you have a place to stay?" Marinette walked up to me and ask. "Because if you don't, I wouldn't mind giving you a home-"

"I have a place, don't worry," I cleared my throat before answering, trying to come up with more lies so she wouldn't suspect me.

"That's good." She then passed a box of more delicious looking pastries over to me. "You should eat more. I can tell that you're very hungry. Do you want anything to drink?"

"Uh. . ." Now I didn't know what to say. I wish I could apologize to her, make her see how sorry I was. When I had been looking around the bakery while the three of them served the customers, I had spotted a framed picture of Marinette and Lila together when they were young. It made me see that they were closer than I had ever thought they were. They were just as close as I was with Chloe. No wonder Marinette had gotten to protective of Lila.

"I'll just have water, thank you," I muttered, knowing I wasn't good with voice changing, but trying my best anyway. I watched her walk away, back inside the kitchen, and I was left alone, sitting at the table, just me and my thoughts.

~

"Alright, bye." I turned around and waved back at Marinette, making sure to thank her all over again. She told me she was happy to help, and I just nodded back with a small smile. Marinette had been nothing but kind to me, which made me even more eager to apologize to her. I had asked her why she wasn't in school, and she told me she had just been feeling sick and decided to come home. I wondered if she had been feeling sick because of me and what I did.