The One

The soft tapping of rain on the window rouses me from my deep sleep.

George makes a soft moan and pulls me closer. Our bodies are tangled, no air between us.

"...mmmmmm-mornin' beautiful..." George slurs out, a small grin adorning his handsome face.

I shift myself so I can look at him better, "good morning, handsome...."

He opens his eyes blearily, his damaged hand coming up to cup my cheek gently.

The smile on my face falters as I look into his eyes. A devastating wave of guilt crashing over me.

He sees this change immediately, sitting up more as he pulls me to his chest. "What's the matter, love?"

I look away, tears pricking my eyes.

"_______....please?"

His voice...so gentle...so caring...

"Geo....I'm sorry...I'm so sorry for ever thinking you were a monster..."

He shushes me as he wipes my escaped tear from my cheek. "No, you were absolutely right. I am a monster...but you're here....you'll help fix me...you are my One....."

I smile and rest my face against his hand. The feeling of guilt lessens, but still lingers.

All those hateful thoughts....

I tilt my head to look into those warm eyes once more. "Geo....you keep calling me your 'One'....what exactly...is that?"

I feel stupid for asking. Is it some kind of metaphor?

He laughs, the sound thundering in his chest. "You are my One. It's very simple, love. I am cursed. I'm a monster. Forced to feed on the living for survival. But you, you are the other half to my darkness. You are the light I need, you are my salvation. I'm cursed to walk the night, but with your blood I will heal. Your blood will take away this curse I've been given. Your blood will make me human again..."

I let his words sink in for a moment.

To be his One is a great responsibility....I am responsible for his second life....I will make him......human...

I feel another tear escape. "....how...how do you know? How are you sure it's me?"

"I just know. There's something in your blood....I knew it the day you first came to the Cavern...there's something special in you...something for me...my body knows it...my soul knows it...you are my One, _________...."

He leans in to kiss me softly, "and I know that...I....."

He pauses, his cheeks turning a bit red. He looks so adorable I can't help but kiss him again.

"You know that you what, Geo?" I push after several silent seconds.

"That I...want you to move in with me! What I did...what happened is unacceptable. It will never happen again. I want you with me, by my side always...I want to make sure you're always okay...I want to protect you, ______..."