Lessons In History

I watch George as he gathers his thoughts. Clearly this isn't a favorite subject of his, but I can't help the curiosity burning within.

After several silent seconds he takes another, even larger, swig of his drink sighing heavily afterwards.

"Well....our history isn't a pleasant one. Our fathers long, long ago pissed off the wrong family resulting in a bloodline curse. Anyone with our blood is forced to live in darkness. Wandering alone, unable to feel the sun warm our skin, needing to feed on what we truly wish to be."

I place my hand gently on his, gripping his glass so tightly I have a small fleeting thought of him shattering it and injuring his hand even worse. He offers me a small smile and continues on.

"....after the curse was placed that family disappeared, leaving our fathers clueless. Suddenly starving for blood. And endless thirst that could never be quenched. Many innocent people...died....by our father's hands."

Another long drink.

"They had no idea what was happening. Why they were suddenly craving the blood of their own kind. Well...what used to be their own kind. For centuries they roamed in darkness. Living by the moon's rule. Facing the sun's wrath if they dare try to step into its warm glory. Learning to only feed enough to carry their ruined bodies on. Fighting the urge to end a life to sustain their own cursed existence."

I look up to the other boys, their faces lacking the usual cheeky grins.

"They could find no history of the curse. Spending tireless hours researching, digging for any hint of how to become human once more. The four of them growing closer in their friendship with their shared misery. Finally, after hundreds of years, my father fell in love with a beautiful human....my
Mother."

George takes another drink, hands shaking slightly.

"The further their relationship went, my father noticed he could tolerate the sun in short bursts. The longer they were together the more human he felt. His skin finally warm once again. The moment he noticed he told the others of this. Finally understanding that the key to their humanity was to find their One. It wasn't long before  they all found the One. Turning human again slowly in time. Once they all were fully turned back into their human selves.....things....happened. Our fathers had spent so long trying to find the answer...."

George stays silent for a few moments. Dark eyes staring down at the table.

"They only lived on for a few years after finding their One. I was 8. The stress on their human bodies, and being hundreds of years old was too much...and they...passed. We grew normally, reaching the ages we are now before the curse finally reared its ugly head. It's only been a few years for us...we decided to come to Liverpool, it's overcast here a lot and we can live relatively normal lives. Those three found their One here. I had hope that I would too find mine."

He smiles at me, those beautiful cheekbones shadowed on his impossibly handsome face.

"And I did....I'm so thankful I did...I waited a long time to meet you, _______...."

I smile at him, saddened by his story. Wondering about their mothers, but not wanting to bring the mood down further.

"Welcome to our little family, ________." John says with a small grin.

George rises from his seat, an unreadable aura emanating from his tall form.

I rise and loop my arm around his, looking back over my shoulder as George begins to walk away.

They all give me a smile, understanding our cutting the evening short.

We walk down into our room in silence, George not speaking another word until I say his name softly.

"I'm sorry...it's not the happiest fairy tale to tell..."

"Geo...I'm so sorry..."

He cups my face gently, "don't be sorry, my love...you're saving me from this....from what happened....we're young, my body won't fail like my father's did."

I close my eyes, enjoying the feel of his calloused fingers against my cheek.

My eyes pop open in surprise when his cold lips gently brush against mine.

I sigh and settle against his chest as our lips work in sync.

All too soon he pulls away, looking into my eyes, "I believe you promised a bath..." he whispers huskily, gently pushing me toward the door.